Re: A very SERIOUS INDY 4 discussion - please repond everybody....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.197 on January 14, 2000 at 00:19:38:

In Reply to: A very SERIOUS INDY 4 discussion - please repond everybody.... posted by Dietrich on January 13, 2000 at 20:29:48:

Here's my two-cents and I hope it helps you. I think part of the reason you're having trouble is because you're going at it all wrong. You're not the first to make this mistake. In fact all of the possible Indy IV scripts I've seen have gone about it the same way you are.
The problem I'm talking about is trying to write an Indy story by concentrating on what prize to send Indy after. This is backwards. Think of the other non-Indy scripts you have in mind. They aren't centered around an inanimate object (no matter how cool). They are about characters.
Since Indy is already an established character with a fully fleshed out history half the job is already done for you.
You need to concentrate on the villain that Indy will face. Give him a villain who is worthy of him and the rest will fall into place.
If you look at the three movies you'll see that they aren't about Indy chasing after a prize. Indy is on some other mission and the prize is secondary. In "Raiders" Indy didn't care about the Ark before he was visited by the two Army guys. His mission was to keep the Nazis from getting the Ark. If the Nazis hadn't discovered Tannis, Indy would never have gone looking for it himself.
In "Temple" Indy is mainly concerned with saving the children and restoring the village. The Sankara stones hardly matter at all.
In "Last Crusade" Indy doesn't give a damn about the Grail. He only wants to rescue his father.
Concentrate on your villains. Make them powerful and evil but human with some good characteristics as well as bad. Remember even Hitler had a girlfriend and liked cats (or did he hate them, I forget).
If your villains are brilliant and highly motivated then you only have to give Indy a reason to try and stop them from achieving their goal.
As far as trinkets for everyone to go after, this isn't really that important. There doesn't even really have to be one or it can be something you just made up or something innocuous. A great Indy adventure could be built around something as simple as a telegram or letter if there is sufficient motivation for Indy to keep the wrong people from getting it.

I hope this helps and that you'll keep working on it. Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]