Indy IV could happen in Antarctic or Greenland. I think Indy needs more snow around him! I donīt know about the "artifact", maybe a lost city or something...(nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Allu from cache3.kolumbus.net on January 14, 2000 at 07:46:19:

In Reply to: A very SERIOUS INDY 4 discussion - please repond everybody.... posted by Dietrich on January 13, 2000 at 20:29:48:

: Hey, guys and gals. I haven't posted in awhile, but I need some help and I don't really know anyone who share's my thirst for further Indy movies ('cept you Indyfans). I've been working on an Indy 4 screenplay for about two years now. When I first started, I never really meant it to be anything other than a warm-up exercise before I started writing the other screenplays I had in mind - ones I hope I'll someday sell. I've been working on it with a friend, another Indy fan who has since given up. Which means I'm working alone now. (...and, boy - I thought it was hard before.)

: At the beginning, we sat down and thought of all the things we would definitely want to see in an Indy 4 (which, reason stands would most likely be the LAST Indy flick.) We wanted to see something that took Indy to new places - places we'd never seen him in; we wanted to see a REAL love interest this time, we wanted him to go after something that was so much bigger, more important than the Holy Grail. We wanted it to be his last, greatest adventure. The real icing on the cake.

: And that's where I got stuck. In the past, Michaelson has been a huge help to me, getting me past some really rough spots. (Thanks again, by the way, for all the help and feedback :))

: But I keep finding the same block. I'm not happy with what I've given Indy to go after. I'm not happy with the story I'm telling. Oh, it's pretty interesting. I won't spoil it here, though. At least not yet. But I think you guys would approve.

: And part of my problem is, that I need to tell a story that would interest everyone - not just we hardore fans. The dihard Indyfan in me is so happy with the story - just bursting at the seams - but the realist in me sees no real justification in my story to warrant a third sequel. Put simply, my story doesn't BEGIN to top Last Crusade. I mean, how do you top the Holy Grail - what else is out there that's cool enough, and big enough, and threatening enough that Indy - in his FIFTIES - would simply HAVE to find.
: (And what story is o godd that they should do a sequel to a ten year-old and counting movie????)

: IF they do a 4th Indy - it needs to be something special. The other three DEMAND it. It can't simply be another fun ride in the saddle. It NEEDS to top LC. Like Spielberg said in the interview videos: "I don't want an Indiana Jones 4 to leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth."

: And he's right.

: It needs to be bigger and better. If it's not, if it's just another Indy tale - if Indy doesn't grow or change - than why do it? It needs to be the best, it needs to be new and fresh while still staying true to the character. But my story just feels like the other movies. It doesn't feel new to me. What would you guys have Indy go after? What's out there that's better than the Ark and the Grail? What could be so deadly and yet so awe-inspiring?

: Any ideas or comments?

: I appreciate you reading this far.

: Thanks again -

: Dietrich

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL: