Re: Survival impossible at periscope depth.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by California Jones from spider-th082.proxy.aol.com on January 15, 2000 at 08:45:35:

In Reply to: Survival impossible at periscope depth. posted by ROB T. on January 15, 2000 at 03:43:30:

: They only way for Indy to survive the trip was if the sub stayed on the surface. If the sub traveled at periscope depth Indy would succomb to hypothermia long before they reached the island.
: If you remember last summer when JFK Jr. crashed into the ocean they reported that the longest anyone could hope to tread water before freezing to death was 36 hours.
: The temp of the water Indy was traveling in would've been somewhere in the 70's, fine for a short swim, but being immersed in that temp for hours on end would cause the bodies core temp to drop to dangerous levels in a few hours.
: The map that showed the sub traveling from where they crossed paths with the Bantu Wind and when they reached the island showed that they traveled several hundred miles. If Indy were up to his chest in that water for all that time he would either have been dead or severely hypothermic.
: He really took a gamble that they would do all or most of their traveling at surface level.

The picture of Indy on the periscope in the making of raiders book is quite clear. It shows Indy clinging to the periscope, with only his knees below the water. There is quite a bit of periscope showing above the water. Think about it, wouldn't it be near impossible to maintain the periscope only a foot above the water,considering the motion of the waves,etc?

I can understand why you would think very little of the periscope is above water. In films, there is no perspective. All you see is the periscope with waves around it. In reality, it is very long and quite a bit is above the surface. Watch "Das Boot," and compare scenes with the periscope above the surface,with scenes of the crew on the boat when it is cruising above water. You will see what I mean.

By the way, I still think it would be very tough to survive, at least if the boat went the entire way under water, which it would not have done.The point is, that is what Spielberg wanted us to think. At least, untill he decided to cut the scene. In my opinion, there is no disputing that. Get the making of raiders book and see for yourself

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]