Re: Sorry - I meant Indy promoting it :-) (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Muppet from dialup107.dagobah.kingston-internet.net on January 15, 2000 at 18:12:35:

In Reply to: No promotion here... posted by Steve on January 15, 2000 at 17:58:01:

: : I can see why it would have suited the character - the 30's being the era of seeing smoking as suave and dignified. And yes, I wouldn't have been surprised had Lucas decided to make Indy a smoker. But think about the movies; two things come to mind.

: : One; when would Indy have smoked? Maybe at the beginning of ToD, but I doubt he'd light up on an Egyptian dig site, or riding a horse trying to evade a Nazi tank, or fighting for his life in Venice. The Indy movies don't really call for any scenes where Indy-as-smoker would be appropriate, let alone necessary.

: : Two; do the same people who want Indy to be a smoker want an Indy IV? Because if so, think of what Indy would be like. He'd be out of breath, in bad health, and have a nasty cough/gassy laugh. Just my experiences of people I've known who have smoked all their lives - I don't want to sound 'sqeaky-clean', but promoting cigarettes and potential lung cancer death is not good - having witnessed someone wasting away and dying of it, it ain't a pretty sight.

: : Okay, okay - I'm off my soap box now :)

: : -Muppet-

: You misunderstood me. I am not telling anyone to smoke, as if I could influence anyone with a sane mind. Neither am I promoting riding in cars, flying in air planes, taking showers, sky diving, mountain climbing, riding in a car with no set belt, eating fast food, and the list could go on and on. All of these things could cause your death and are outright dangerous. And no matter how you yourself will die, it probaly ain't gonna be pleasant. If you smoke you may die of a smoke related illness, and if you drive a car you may die of an auto accident. Personally I think that all car commercials should be outlawed and banned because these things are very dangerous and cause countless deaths each year. And these deaths can absolutely be avoided, just get rid of all the cars. And , planes, and fast food, and risky recreations, and.... steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]