Re: You call this archaeology?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Goodsport from adsl-216-102-199-185.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net on January 15, 2000 at 21:22:28:

In Reply to: You call this archaeology? posted by bud-arc on January 15, 2000 at 21:01:39:

: I'm wondering if there are any Indyfans in this forum who are interested in archaeology, want to become an archaeologist, or who are archaeologists. I notice that many archaeologists usually put-down the Indy movies, claiming that Indy is only a treasure hunter. The thing is, that was actually how archaeology was in the earlier part of the 20th century. They were still looting and pillaging, and it was not considered "wrong" to take artifacts and so on. So most of the scientists don't really have a good case against it. Then again, it's supposed to entertainment anyway!
: Elaborating on what I just said, I wonder if in Indy 4, they will make a little bit of changes to Indy's point of view of archaeology. Will Indy be more careful with artifacts now, being more careful and delicate with them? Also, new points of views and evidence were also uncovered in archaeology later, so maybe that could be incorporated into the storyline of Indy 4. Just a thought.

If they do make Indy IV, I hope that they take Indy's point of view, whatever it was, to be from that time period (whether it takes place in the 1940's or 1950's or whenever), and that the filmmakers don't put too much of the current viewpoint in there. That's one of the reasons why I was glad that Indy IV wasn't made in the early 1990's... it just would've been too politically correct, not allowing Indy to truly be Indy!

In other words, I would want it to be historically correct (as much as it can for the story, at least), and not politically correct... to make Indy react as he would in the 1940's or 1950's (or whatever), and not as he would in the 1990's (or 2000's?)! :)

Okay, I'm done confusing everyone :D ...

-G

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]