Fedora crown heights

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by red four from oak-ts1-h2-48-235.ispmodems.net on January 18, 2000 at 00:59:46:

Hi, this is an old question, but how tall does everyone think the crown on the Indy hat is?

I'm thinking that it is at least six inches in the open crown state, most likely higher for the raiders version. The reason I say that is my Nostalgias are 5.5 inches high at the top center of the crown, and they still look a little short (not much, though). Patterson, what about your Akubra? I remember reading that it was 6.3 inches or so, with the crown being more "pointy" at the top relative to the Bushman.

Steve has said that his Custom Hatter fedora is 5 5/8 inches open crown, would 1/8 of an inch make that much difference? Also, the movie hat has a very deep center dent, something that leads me to believe that the Raiders hat had at least a 6" crown. In side profile shots the crown is quite a bit taller in the front, an effect I can only get on the nostalgia by pushing the back dent down, but when I put the hat on my head pops it back out. Another reason to think the crown would be taller.

Of course my hat may look a little shorter because I wear a 7 5/8 size, maybe a smaller size would look taller as it is not as big in diameter.

Any thoughts?

John D

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: