Re: Fedora crown heights

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-141.COL.cableone.net on January 18, 2000 at 04:51:12:

In Reply to: Fedora crown heights posted by red four on January 18, 2000 at 00:59:46:

: Hi, this is an old question, but how tall does everyone think the crown on the Indy hat is?

: I'm thinking that it is at least six inches in the open crown state, most likely higher for the raiders version. The reason I say that is my Nostalgias are 5.5 inches high at the top center of the crown, and they still look a little short (not much, though). Patterson, what about your Akubra? I remember reading that it was 6.3 inches or so, with the crown being more "pointy" at the top relative to the Bushman.

: Steve has said that his Custom Hatter fedora is 5 5/8 inches open crown, would 1/8 of an inch make that much difference? Also, the movie hat has a very deep center dent, something that leads me to believe that the Raiders hat had at least a 6" crown. In side profile shots the crown is quite a bit taller in the front, an effect I can only get on the nostalgia by pushing the back dent down, but when I put the hat on my head pops it back out. Another reason to think the crown would be taller.

: Of course my hat may look a little shorter because I wear a 7 5/8 size, maybe a smaller size would look taller as it is not as big in diameter.

: Any thoughts?

: John D

That extra 1/8 inch is hardly noticable. I think the most important thing is the shape of the crown in relation to its height. What I mean is, you can have two hats that are the same height, but after being bashed, one can look shorter than the other. Like a "pointy" 5 inch crown versus a "square" 5 inch crown. regards, Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]