Re: Ordered the Stetson "Nostalgia" from Miller hats and had a theory on different hat sizes.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by red four from oak-ts1-h2-49-68.ispmodems.net on January 18, 2000 at 13:08:58:

In Reply to: Ordered the Stetson "Nostalgia" from Miller hats and had a theory on different hat sizes. posted by S. William on January 18, 2000 at 12:01:39:

: I just ordered the Stetson "Nostalgia" from Miller hats, and they just confirmed it. My hat size is 7 1/8, just an 1/8 smaller than Harrison Fords head 7 1/4 ( I believe I have seen this on another Indy clothing type web-site).

: Since head sizes from Indy fan to Indy fan can differ so much, I have a theory, and was wondering if there should be a way to scale the hat specs depending on the size of your head. If you have the same size head as Harrison Ford, then you could follow the measurements given for the Herbert Johnson on the brim size, crown hight ect exactly. But say your head is smaller than his measurements, than the measurements on your hat should go down in size. If your head is bigger they should go up. If I were to scale down based on the 1/8 difference my brim size would be 2 7/8 (2 3/4 - 1/8) on front and back and 2 3/8
: (2 1/2 - 1/8) on the sides. The crown would be no taper (of course) and would only have to be 5 3/8 (5 1/2 - 1/8) with center dent. The reason I say this is that I noticed another post earlier talking about how their hat size was 7 5/8, and the measurements on the hats brim, crown hight were right, but the hat didn't seem big enough. In this case this person would have to add 3/8 to make their hats scale to their head. If you scale the hats measurements to your head size, it would probably look more like an Indy even though it wouldn't be exactly the same as Harison Fords measurements. I may be wasting my time with this thought but what do you think. Maybe this is why the Custom Hatter hats look good on those who have them because they scale the measurements from the origionals to fit your head.

: Sincerely,

: S. William

This makes perfect sense to me, and I remember Patterson talking about his conversation with David Morgan, where he said that the Akubras crown got taller with a larger hat size to keep the proportions right. I don't think they change the brim size though.

Also, Steve brought up the point that the shape of the crown is important as well. A more "pointy" open crown is probably better for the Indy look.

That being said, you are going to love your nostalgia. I have two and bought another for a friend. They are really close to the Indy look, enough that only diehards will notice. The untapered crown makes all the difference in the world. My brother (a big Indyfan also) was really surprised how good the hat looked, but he didn't pick up on the lack of taper until I pointed it out to him.

One last thing, I think some of your fractions are incorrect (ie not 2 7/8 but 2 5/8). I'm sure you noticed, but just in case!

Thanks,

John D

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: