The Bantam Novels (A Question & Very minor spoilers)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Swashbuckler from grgtma-01-167.port.shore.net on June 21, 1998 at 09:27:34:

For those of you who have read the Indy novels by Bantam (MacGregor, Caidin and McCoy), which do you think are the best?

I ask this because I've read the first four (Peril at Delphi, Dance of the Giants, Seven Veils, and Genesis Deluge) and I don't really think any of these capture the feel of the movies. I liked Dance of the Giants the best (although the ending with Merlin really turned me off from the book), but I really, really disliked Seven Veils. Delphi was okay for a while, and Genesis Deluge was okay but very bland and boring.

So I'm starting to wonder: is it just Rob MacGregor whose books I don't really like, or are they all like that? I mean, I think they get a little too mystical at times and don't retain that sense of at least some kind of plausible explanation for the mysterious that there usually is in the movies. And then I see that one of the McCoy novels involves a living Triceratops! (This all takes place before Raiders, mind you, when Indy didn't believe in "all that superstitious hocus-pocus" ...).

To make a long story short: do they get better? And if so, which ones?

Thanks.

-- Swashbuckler

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: