Re: Unfortunately...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Joe from ppp-s250-n151-as2.nerdc.ufl.edu on January 20, 2000 at 09:41:19:

In Reply to: Re: Indy's 20th anniversary posted by ROB T. on January 15, 2000 at 04:12:40:

: I'd like them to at least rerelease the movie to theatres in a good, cleaned up print. Unbelievably, a lot of people on this site and elsewhere have never seen it on the big screen.

Oooh, how I’d love this myself! I don’t know if it’ll happen, but anything’s possible...

: They did a big rerelease for the anniversaries of "Gone With the Wind," "Wizard of OZ," "Grease," "Dirty Dancing" and others so why not "Raiders?"

Unfortunately, most of the movies you just cited did less-than-spectacular business in their recent reissues. It’s difficult to draw people to a theater to see a movie that’s been on video for years; you and I may know that most films are best experienced theatrically, but probably the majority of people opt for the convenience and lower cost of video over the theatrical experience when they have a choice. The Star Wars films were probably the only films recently reissued in theaters that actually made much money, and they were Star Wars films, after all (not to mention having a bunch of additional material previously unseen). It’s certainly possible that the Indy films (“Raiders”, particularly) could do well in a modern rerelease, but by no means certain. It wouldn’t just be Lucasfilm’s call - Paramount would probably have to be persuaded that there was enough profit potential to make it worth their while, and that’s not a given. Ah, well... hopefully it’ll happen, though.

BTW, sorry I haven’t posted in eons... I’ve been busy with other things, like moving to Gainesville and starting classes at University of Florida (as an Anthropology major, naturally!). I’m looking forward to my Development of World Civilizations class today - we’ve been discussing archaeology as a research method, and in class this afternoon we’ll watch a certain 1981 blockbuster... ;-)

- IJ

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]