Re: Just to recap...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on January 26, 2000 at 13:37:50:

In Reply to: Just to recap... posted by Michaelson on January 26, 2000 at 13:22:43:

: : I think the LC and Raiders hats are more alike then they are different. Also, as I recall, Stetson made a pretty big deal about their hat being the hat in ToD. As I understand it HJ has admitted that the Poet is not actually THE hat used in the movies. Rather, it is the hat they currently carry that they modify with the dimensional cut, bash, and ribbon to best match what they supplied for Raiders. I'm sure they would not claim to have supplied the hats for ToD (again, the Stetson product placement deal). I'm not aware that they claim to have supplied the hats for LC (Gary White does make this claim, thought I believe it has never been substantiated). As I understand it, one of the staff at IndyGear claims that another HJ offering (reblocked McAlpine?) that, when modified, is a better match to the original Raiders hat.

: : Nothing against the Poet, but I'm under the impression that even HJ will say that it is not THE hat they supplied in 1980. It might piss-off those who spent the $'s thinking it is, but again, NOTHING HAVING TO DO WITH THE GEAR EVER SEEMS TO BE CAST IN STONE! IF IT WERE, IT WOULD BE A BORING HOBBY!

: : Sorry for shouting.

: : Cheers!

: : Patterson

: ..it was Indy Magnoli who went to HJ a few years agao and made that discovery. The Poet was lower crown wise, and the Alpine was a bit taller (according to Mr. Swales), matching the original Raiders fedora they had produced for the movie (once again according to Mr. Swales at the time). The felt on the Alpine was a bit stiffer than the Poet, so he had Mr. Swales produce his fedora from the Alpine rather than the Poet that was currently on their shelves. Now I guess you can read anything you want into that discussion, but just reading those lines you can see that Mr. Swales said that the crown was lower on the current Poet offering than the original. Once again we can jump to the conclusion that it's a completely different base fedora, but then he could have also worked the crown higher by manipulation of the felt. To many gray areas to assume anything anymore. If you don't believe me, look at all the changes I've had to follow up on regarding the gun discussions. Assumptions can be dangerous. Believe me, I know. (grins) Regards. Michaelson

As I said, nothing is cast in stone. Thanks for the followup/clarification. I knew I had heard of the McAlpine before. I guess there is still SOME grey-matter left (besides the grey hair).

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: