Re: Fedoras, Hats, Headaches and Heated Discussions.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on January 26, 2000 at 14:09:45:

In Reply to: Fedoras, Hats, Headaches and Heated Discussions. posted by GCR on January 26, 2000 at 13:45:22:

: I have been purusing the forum and have noticed quite a few posts regarding the HJ and the fact that it is the "one true Indy hat". Now, as far as I'm concerned, the one true Indy hat is one of the many that graced the head of Mr. Ford himself during production. THOSE are the TRUE Indy hats, and yes, they were made by Herbert Johnson. But I think which hat to get, all depends on what the individual is looking for. If they are after the HJ name because the want a hat made by the same people who made 'em for the Movies and they have the money (and patients), then an HJ they should buy. However, if they want a specific look (ie Raiders), they should look into custom jobs (ie Custom Hatter), if they can find one, and it's withtin the given price range. If all the custom jobs are too expensive, one could opt for the Akubra Conversion method and simply "make" an Indy fedora themselves. For people trying to capture the Raiders look, without losing four Franklins, the Akubra is probablly the way to go. If bashing your own hat sounds fun, but you don't want to fool with cutting brims and changing ribbons, then I'd say go for the Stetson Nostalgia or the Indiana Miller open crown. These are great since everything is already done and all there is left to do is bash it any way you want it. Plus the price is nice, and they come lined (well, at least the stetson does, don't know about the Miller). If you want a hat that looks lke a fedora and is wearabale right out of the box, I'd suggest the Stetson (005) Indy or the Stetson Temple. Although both are already blocked, don't let that fool you, they can still be re-shapen. I've had my Temple for a while now and I must say I've found I like that hat more and more each time I look at it. Some complain that it tapers too much, which is true out of the box. But if you fiddle with it you can get a very decent look out of it. It took time, but mine has a very satisfying look to it now, complete with the knife-edge front pinch. Plus, the dimensionally cut brim curls into that Indy look real nicely. At certain times I have seen resemblances to the hats used in all three movies, so it is a pretty good all-around Indy hat. I'd say if one is debating over the Temple or the Indy, (seeing as how I own the Temple and can't give an opinion on the Indy)I'd say get the Temple, the crown is fixable, and the brim is perfect. Overall I think Stetson is a fine brand of hat. It's the brand my Grandfather wore, and a name I trust (sorry to sound like a commercial, but I own 4-different Stetson Fedoras). And last is the "official" Indy hat offered by Dorfman Pacific(?). Although there is an $80 fur felt version, the crown is a teardrop, which is a bit of a pain to reshape (although it's still part of the fun), especially if you pick up the $36 wool felt version (the type offered at the disney parks). Now that is just plain hard to reshape. For someone who just wants a brown fedora, that has the look of the Indy hats, for a very little amount of money, then the "official" model is for you. It's still a nice little hat, and only other Indyfans would recognize the error of the crown shape, to everyone else, it's just a brown fedora. As for the "ONE TRUE INDY HAT"? Well, I think if what someone is after is the true end-all Indy hat, what they should do is this: don't bother going after the HJ. Just start planning a heist at the Smithsonian, hell, you could pick up a Wested too! My final word is this...aside from the actuall hats IN THE FILMS, I mean the ones worn by Ford and the stuntmen, there is no end-all "TRUE INDY HAT". There is a wide-range of good choices, any one of which could end up being someones "true Indy hat" because maybe that's all they could find, afford, or even wanted. I just think everyone has their own Indy hat, and if they like it, and feel comfortable with it and wearing it, then that is their true Indy hat.
: -GCR

All I can say is a heart felt, true and fervent "Amen". I don't know about that heist idea, but I'll be happy to hold the flashlight. (grins) Well said, and TOTALLY agreed with. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]