Re: Herbert Johnson

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on January 26, 2000 at 16:26:47:

In Reply to: Herbert Johnson posted by Matt Walker on January 26, 2000 at 15:23:56:

: The only reason I argue for the HJ all the time is because everybody seems to despise them on the forum and I don't know why. I think they are great hats and are as close to a replica as you can get to an Indy hat. And if I don't defend HJ, who will?

: Matt

Matt, where in the world did you get the idea that "everybody seems to despise them"!!?? I have not read one single statement regarding anyone not liking the HJ anywhere. People are angry because no one has RECEIVED theirs yet, with orders hanging fire since last July. The VAST majority of us can't AFFORD them, at almost $300 a pop. The jacket I can argue for because of it's durability etc. and investment, but it's REAL hard to justify the H.J. purchase within a family budget. It's much easier to find an alternate source and re-create the H.J. at a much lower cost, and yet actually come up with an equally good fedora. I, too, think that the H.J. is very over priced for what you get. You can also get as high a quality felt and hand sewn inner lining, sweat band, and ribbon for almost 1/3 the price of the H.J. from many vendors right here in the U.S. What you're paying for is an item that is made by a vendor recognized by the Royal Crown, who caters to the upper society of London, and in our case created the Raiders fedora. All well and good, but is it actually worth $300? That is what all the hub bub has been about. I would love to own one myself, but not when a equal fedora of like quality and production can be had at a much lower price from a variety of custom hat producers. Some of the commercially produced fedoras are a good choice too. If you believe that the fact that it's the original off sets the price, no problem. It is indeed a very nice fedora for the collector for that reason. If you're more of a realist in terms of wanting a fedora that looks just like the H.J., is just as well made and of equal quality material, but costs one to two thirds the cost of the H.J., why in the world would you shell out the cash for the H.J.? Simple dollars and cents answer that one. I believe THAT's the fly in the ointment. But to say it's despised for being a good hat, no, it needs no defense, and hasn't to date. Owners have stood up for it for all the years I've been at this forum, and I've been here since the beginning. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]