Re: Yes that does make it fun...one question

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on January 26, 2000 at 18:05:03:

In Reply to: Yes that does make it fun...one question posted by Matt Walker on January 26, 2000 at 17:30:31:

: : Patterson

: One question though, why do you not think the Temple Wested is as valid a replica as the Raiders and Crusade? I thought it still wasn't clear on what kind of leather was used on the Crusade jacket or is it?

: Matt

Based on what I see on camera in ToD and the way the story about the jackets has changed and evolved, I'm not convinced that Wested actually made any jackets for ToD. First we heard that the ToD jacket was the Raiders jacket with a bit more length. Clearly what I see on film is not a Wested Raiders. The cargo pockets are smaller and squarer. The side straps are attached well away from the handwarmer slits. The straps are attached on the outside of the back panel, rather then under the seam on the inside of the panel. Basically, what I see on film is a French knockoff of the original Cooper jacket; i.e. fitted tailoring rather then the oversized fit of the current Cooper offering. I'm assuming it is French because of Peter's revised story that brings a French supplier into the picture. The story goes that they had jackets left over from Raiders, and supplemented them with ones supplied by a French company. I would dispute that any jacket I see on screen in ToD is a Wested Raiders. This leads me to concur that a French company supplied all the jackets and used a Cooper jacket to build their own pattern. I'm assuming they did not come directly from Cooper on two points: 1.) They would have broadcast it to the world (Cooper would have) and 2.) The zipper is on the "wrong" side (my ethnocentrism is showing).

On the LC jacket, I believe Peter has addressed any doubt's I had about the material used; they had a thicker lambskin available to them at that time. Once upon a time, Wested selected their own skins, which were then forwarded on to a tannery. Currently they buy directly from the tanneries. Thicker skins are harder to come by.

I in no way contend that the Raiders and LC jackets offered by Peter are nothing but authentic as represented. They also happen to be my favorites - first the Raiders, then the LC.

Boy, don't get me talking about jackets - I could go on forever.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: