Re: They don't get much better

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ummm...hang on from 1Cust122.tnt1.slt2.da.uu.net on June 22, 1998 at 20:13:09:

In Reply to: They don't get much better posted by Hunter on June 22, 1998 at 10:23:26:

: Sorry to say this, but they just don't. Infact, some of them get worse. However; they are the only source for Indy adventures so I usually just grit my teeth and bare it. Unicorn's Legacy is pretty good, but the follow up, Interrior World, is very dull. Philosopher's Stone comes close to a movie like story, I'd suggest picking that one up. But you're right, it is too bad they couldn't get writers that capture the true spirit of the films. Maybe someone new will come along soon and revive the series, until then, just enjoy what's out there.

I agree that these novels don't parallel the films in exact scope, tone, or pace, but they do have merit. Don't get me wrong, they do stray from the regular formula in some spots, but i found that to be refreshing--it made them less predictable. also, the novels lend to greater character depth, because you're constantly in indy's mind, with mental references to his dad now and again. instead of focusing on great relics all the time, these stories tend to focus on the occult (mysticism), something jones is supposed to be an expert on. he gets caught up in the quest for the truth about legends and folklore, etc.

besides, Max McCoy says on his website that it is very difficult transcribing ideas to paper. the world of indy as we know it is very visual, and it is a daunting task to manipulate action into words without it seeming to laborious to the reader to visualize.

you're right though, it took getting used to the change of medium, and of course some are better than others. personally i'd stick with Macgreggor and McCoy.

nitzsche

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]