Re: My Stetson Nostalgia, (although I know this doesn't apply to these two choices) has a 5 5/8 crown and a 2 3/4 inch brim. It looks great and cheaper than the Indiana Miller.( I've triple checked the measurements)(nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-93.COL.cableone.net on January 28, 2000 at 13:09:11:

In Reply to: My Stetson Nostalgia, (although I know this doesn't apply to these two choices) has a 5 5/8 crown and a 2 3/4 inch brim. It looks great and cheaper than the Indiana Miller.( I've triple checked the measurements)(nm) posted by S William on January 27, 2000 at 19:22:09:

: : : I have been wanting to get an Indy fedora for years, and it seems like now there are a couple of good low-cost options available. I've narrowed my selection down to two choices, the Stetson 005 Indy or the open-crowned Indiana Miller. I am leaning towards the Miller hat. With its 5-5/8 inch crown and a 2-3/4 inch brim size it seems to be a good choice for creating the Raiders look. I was wondering about the flange that they show--is this what they use to make the brim front "snap down" to make the hat look arched when viewed from the side? I was thinking about making the brim a dimensional cut (2-3/4 x 2-5/8) by following the same procedures in the Akubra Conversion article by Patterson. Would the already-present flanged snap-down interfere or cause difficulties in this?

: : : Any comments about the Indiana Miller would be appreciated. I really love this IndyFan-IndyGear site--its the best, and the forum always has interesting and thoughtful discussions. Thanks for any help you can provide!

: :
: : This is news to me. I thought it was the same height as the Nostalgia. What are your sources on this info? thanks, Steve

This really surprises me! I bought a Nostalgia a couple years ago from a local retailer of stetson hats. He had to have stetson make it for me as they were out of stock. It took several months to receive, because stetson kept failing the hat when it got to quality control. The third time was a charm and i finally got it. The stetson catalog that this retailer had, listed the hat with a 5 inch open crown. We called to verify this and they told us that the 5 inch crown was the tallest made by stetson in a dress hat. I measured mine when I got it , and it was exactly 5 inches. I have heard several report here of Nostalgias being 5 1/2 inches, but this was later explained because these hats had come form an outlet store and were rejects from quality control because of minor defects, some being the wrong crown height as advertised . Did your's come from such a place? I wish I had bought mine form one of these outlet stores if they sold these taller crowned hats. A Nostalgia that was taller would be a very fine Indy fedora in my opinion. The only way mine fell short was the 5 inch crown size. regards steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]