Re: Question on Alden's

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Jules from spider-wg082.proxy.aol.com on January 29, 2000 at 14:17:23:

In Reply to: Re: Question on Alden's posted by Indy Sahara on January 28, 2000 at 21:04:38:

: One thing to remember in the motion picture business is that costume designers age costumes very quickly. In a big budget film, the costume designer is brought on board around 2 or 3 months prior to principal photography. They just don't have time to age things naturally. What they usually do is beat the crap out of an item, grind them in the dirt, file them, take sandpaper to them, etc. to get that aged/worn look. Believe me...I speak from experience. I've been on MANY motion picture sets.

: This is a great technique for motion pictures as they have plenty of money to buy 50 pairs if necessary. They don't care about ruining an item. They might only need it for one shot. It's funny to be on a set and see an item held together with gaffers tape just to get it through the shot before it disintegrates. Looks great in the shot, though...but afterwards, it's toast.

: It's different for the average Joe, however. The average Joe (or Jane...sorry ladies) wants the aged worn look, but doesn't want to ruin the only pair he/she has. This is difficult. It's comparing apples to oranges. What's the point of my rant and rave? It's just this. If you want the worn look quickly, you can do what they do...age them quickly. Your Alden's won't last very long, but they'll look good for awhile. Or...You can hike up a dirty mountain trail (what I've done with other shoes). After only a few hikes, they'll get grimy and start to look the part. They'll last longer too. Oh...and don't dye them. The dirt will be enough for wear. Give it time.

: Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the suggestion. With this and Patterson's suggestion of turning into the Forrest Gump of walking, I think they'll get better looking. The only problem is that in St. Louis right now, IT'S SNOWING, and I don't want to crack the leather from getting them in the snow too much.
In actuallity, you just told me to go adventuring. The common ground in my subdivision has a lot of dirt and mud, this should work out nicely if only it'd stop snowing...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]