You are right...and I agree with you

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-91.COL.cableone.net on January 30, 2000 at 00:05:13:

In Reply to: Re: Uncomfortable in public posted by Indiana James (Lambert) on January 29, 2000 at 23:34:05:

: : : : : I wear my fedora occassionally (it's great in the rain and snow) and I've had a leather jacket (not a Wested, but close enough for me) for years now. But I find that I feel really uncomfortable wearing both together in public. It makes me feel like I'm a hero-worshipping teenager again. Now I know it's just me. I'm old enough to handle any taunts and smirks, but still I can't bring myself to wear both items at the same time.

: : : : : For those of you brave enough to do so, what reaction do you get from the unenlightened public?

: : : : : Maybe I should start carrying the Webley?

: :
: : : : I have worn leather jackets and fedoras together for years, and while I am sure some people may have made some comments, I have seldom heard them. If the comment is meant in good fun, I can laugh as easily as the next fellow, but if rudeness is involved, I can be very confrontational. Call it my old southern upbringing, but rudeness is nothing more than a challenge, and I am up to the challenge. I come from the era that if you called another fellow a name you had better be ready for a fist fight, because that is what you are gonna get. And as far as the comment concerning that french fellow, well , I feel the french are the most ungrateful people God has ever created. We saved their asses during WW2, but you wouldn't think it because of their attitude. With the exception of the French resistance, by and large they were a bunch of cowards, too willing to bend over for the Nazis. Steve

: : : Just to let you know, I find that comment rather offensive. My family has a deep French background and we're not sissies. My Great Uncle, who was French, served in WW2 as a commando on many daring operations and probably did kick some major Nazi ass. I wouldn't label the majority of French as cowards. There's cowards in every nation of the world.

: : :
: : : ------------
: : : ------------
: : : -----

: : Perhaps I over generalized, perhaps not. I only know what the veterans in my family have told me about the era, and numerous stories that is almost a cliche concerning French rudeness to Americans, and no gratitude at all in general. The fact is this, we saved their asses, and that my friend deserves something other than the hate that is well known exhibited toward Americans. I have some French in my family tree too, but I can assure you this doesn't change the facts. I didn't mean to insult you or your family, but what I said stands. There were brave men in the war that were french, and the french resistance was evidence of it, but that was not the point I was trying to make. And in proportion to the population in france at that time the french resistance was a very tiny segment of the available manpower. If that isn't cowardice, then I don't know what you could call it. regards, steve

: Maybe some of today's French people are ungrateful and rude towards Americans but when they were liberated, the French were very grateful to the many young men who gave up their lives for the freedom of France. Many, many monuments, museums and cemetaries were erected and built in Normandy and other parts of France in honor of these brave men. The parades and celebrations that the French people held when the Allied tanks came rolling in the streets is evidence enough. Maybe today's generation is too young to appreciate this.

: The majority of French people stayed out of the resistence in fear of the certain death that would come to them if they were caught- and it happened. I don't know, neither of us were there to witness the surrounding environment and fear that resided in France during that time.

:
: ----------------
: ----------------

I tend to be a bit harsh at times when it comes to the French. You are right, neither one of us was there at that horrible time in history. And it is apparent from old film footage that the French people of that time were grateful. I just have a problem with the current french of today, all the while realizing that not all French people share the negative feelings that has become a cliche in the US. Just kinda gripes my ass sometimes when I hear of their reactions to Americans. So why is that? Why are these people devoid of any gratitude as of today? Why are we looked down upon? And what kind of people is even capable of this? I will shut up. regards, steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]