Re: Hold the phone.....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by nitzsche from 1Cust134.tnt1.slt2.da.uu.net on June 23, 1998 at 08:47:09:

In Reply to: Hold the phone..... posted by Michaelson on June 23, 1998 at 08:00:58:

: Hold on folks, let's not get to riled here. When the two Quartermain movies, the producers, actors and all ADMITTED it was to be considered a parody of the Indiana Jones movies, which were, at that time, still fresh in the minds of the movie public. They had no plans to usurp the Indy throne, just have fun with the parody. I personally enjoyed both movies, and saw them both in the theaters when they came out. They were just as advertised, totally mindless fun that used Indy as a spring board to parody.
: Richard Chamberlin was asked directly on Entertainment Tonight if they planned to parallel the Indy adventure. He stated absolutely, they wanted to do a light comedy with the Indy themes in mind. So watch them with this in mind, not as a comparable adventure, but as the comedies they were intended to be. Regards. Michaelson

Ok, still, i remember seeing them too when i was younger, and although they have a tinge of lightness and very forced comic sequences, i still became woozy--even as a kid--at the awful performances and hammered effects. i don't recall them marketed as comedies, or even parodies (they're in Action/Adventure at my local video store), but i can see anyone involved not wanting to publicly act serious about these films for fear of looking lame. sharon stone won't even talk about them. besides, king solomon's mines was supposed to be a remake (yeah, way to go). don't ask me what happened. it's like half-way through they realized they couldn't pull it off and had to ham it up. i'm not opposed to indy-genre films or even parodies, but dude, parodies are cheesey, not moldy!

i did like chuck norris' firewalker though, and that was campy!

--nitzsche

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]