Thanks, Greg...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Schulte from proxy2.cityweb.de on June 24, 1998 at 05:44:29:

In Reply to: Re: Gary White posted by Greg on June 24, 1998 at 05:32:00:

:
: : Hi All you crazed Indiana Jones Fans! I would just like to make it clear that Herbert Johnson Hatters Has gone out of business. I have not heard however if the original Indy Hat specs will be handed down to another hatter, but I will keep you all posted.

: : Herbert Johnson was the original hat maker for the Indy Hat, but Gary White of the "Custom Hatter" crafted the Last Crusade Fedora. Gary White Has given me his word that the original Last crusade hat was his own creation from what the prop crew from the film wanted( Their Specs) Anyway if you have any questions ask him!

: : Sincerely,

: : Shannon

: :
: : P.S. The orignal Indy hat was not tan or chestnut in color, it was brown. The filmakers used special lighting and powders to maintain the hat appearance throughout the films.

: I don't know where you heard that information, because not one hour ago I just finished ordering a second Indy hat from Herbert Johnson. I spoke directly to Richard Swales. In addition, he found a company in Spain that reproduced the Petersham from a small swatch of the original stuff, so if you are thinking of ordering a hat, fret not-it is the original and now it will come to you with the proper ribbon.
: Incidently, if the information came from Gary White, it doesn't surprise me. I was told by at least one other hatter in New York that Gary White was a "lying cheat" (his words). So why would anyone want to spend $395 for a hat that is "almost" like the original when they could get the original for less? My humble opinion.

: Greg

Thanks for clearing things up, Greg. I couldn't believe it when I read
that Herbert Johnson has gone out of business. Great news, that the
hat will now come with the 'original' ribbon. Which hat did you order,
if I may ask? And how much did you have to pay, any extra payment for
the Petersham ribbon?
By the way, I totally agree with you concerning Gary White and his
hats. Why pay so much when you can get the ORIGINAL hat from the man
who ORIGINALLY made them for the movie for $100 less! Gary White is
really the worst...

Regards,
-Max