Just a side note.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by GCR from spider-wo083.proxy.aol.com on February 01, 2000 at 18:18:16:

In Reply to: Stetson posted by matt walker on February 01, 2000 at 05:52:09:

: : Let me pose a question to yew geys:
: : Taking for granted that in the fictional world of Indiana Jones and the time period that the films are set in, do you reeeallly think that Indy would only wear a Hebert Johnson fedora? I mean, how often did Indy actually travel to London, especially during the Nazi uprising? Granted, HJ supplied hats in at least Last Crusade(you can tell by how crummy the hats look). But I am confused in why a lot of you hard-core Indy fans assume that they made the fedoras in all the films. The TOD hats are OBVIOUSLY diverse (stetsons?), they look totally different than the fedoras used in Raiders and LC; also why would Lucasfilm grant Stetson rights to produce the cheap replicas at a time when this practice was VERY rare unless they supplied the hats used in filming?
: : Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't most Americans of that time wear Stetson fedoras? After all, they have been in business since the mid 1800's and patriotism(ie. BUY AMERICAN!!) was very strong at that time.
: : On a different note, I see a lot of squabbling about the new color of the Alden boots. Look closely at the film, especially the new releases, the boots were IN FACT the original carmel/red. If you want your boots to look beat up and worn like Indy's, turn off your computer, get off your butt and WEAR THEM!!
: : Generic Closing,
: : Schorty Lambbertino Mikaelson SomekindofIndynamevarient Zorro AustinPowers the list goes on and on and on and on and...

:
: Ok first of all, just because the props used in the films came from England, does not mean that Indy was necessarily supposed to have gotten the hat from England in the movies. I mean his whip is from where Washington? did he go to the Northwest and get his whip? His bag is from the future in WWII did he hop in the delorean and get it from the trenches in France? I mean the origins of a prop do not match the thing it portrays in the movie. U know that wasnt the real Ark of the Covenant in Raiders and I doubt it was even made in Israel but it looked like it because it was a prop. Herbert Johnsons were probably used because they were high quality and durable. Also most of the rest of the costume was purchsed in England for whatever reason so why not the hat. And as far as not being American and everybody bought American products back then, this is a movie, it really isnt the 1930s and I dont think u can tell just by looking at the hats in the movies that it is English and not American, if you can then please tell me how. And to say the hats looked crummie, HJ makes custom hand made hats versus machine made hats from Stetson. If they looked crummie then I assure you it is in being distressed this happend and not in craftsmanship. Next, Stetson was probably given the licesning rights for the hats just like cooper was given the licensing rights for the jackets because HJ and Wested leather being small compared to stetson and Cooper, proabably had neither the time nor the man power to make an official copy to distribute to the public. Finally, if the hats do vary from movie to movie I can only guess that HJ slightly changed the hat with each movie, how do you jump to the conclusion that they are stetsons. We know for a fact that all three movies used HJ fedoras which can be confirmed by Richard Swales and many others. Other hats such as the Custom Hatter's fedora might have been used as well but for sure HJ were used in all 3 films. Stetsons are great but dont just assume they were in the films because you like them. I like American Harleys but the bike Indy drove was a German Mercedes and there isnt much I can do about that. I know, why don't you call up George and tell him he gave Indy the wrong hat. Say "Hey George, what were you thinking, a British hat on an American, thats crazy, that crummie British hat looked so out of place on his American head. He needs a Stetson on there. I mean what do you think an American actually went to England or something? Especially an archaeologist who travels the world and lived in England and France? Man George you need to take some movie makin tips from me." As for the shoes, I agree with you.

: Matt Walker - Hey look I used my real name as I always have so if somebody hates the nicknames then guess what feel free to use your real name and also feel free to make a unique closing to your posts. or u could mock everybody on the forum by making fun of their nicknames and closings and leave anonymous posts.

Whoa!!! That was quite an outburst, but I must say I do agree with you on certain points, but my reason for posting was just to say (you might have already known this) that the reason for the majority of the costume items being made in England is because that is where all the studio work was done, since it was cheaper to work in England than in Hollywood at the time. It was just easier having the costume deptartment work with locals.
-GCR

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]