Now I don't know about locales, but....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian K. from kbowen.xyplex.com on February 01, 2000 at 22:20:26:

In Reply to: Deducing the plot of Indy IV through logic. posted by Shannon on January 31, 2000 at 17:03:14:

: I think we need to ask ourselves: "Is there ANY environment, country, or culture that Indiana Jones hasn't dug up yet?"
: If the answer is yes, then we ask ourselves: "What is it?"
: Once we have the answer to that, the rest of the movie should fall into place. Any suggestions? I don't think he's been to China yet...

Don'y you think it would be cool to briefly revisit an area from one of the earlier movies, kindof like a touchstone before moving on with the adventure in Indy IV. How bout this... 1953, Joey Stalin is convinced that people like Khruschev ( I don't know how to spell it, sorry ) are plotting against him. To prevent these people from succeeding in overthrowing or killing him, he decides to focus his sites on unifying Russia into a war against another country....I'm thinking the country that Germany went to in getting the grail. One of Stalin's spies gathering intelligence for the impending invasion gets wind of local tales of a man whose bullet wounds magically healed. He tracks down the source of the rumor, who is one of the German's hired henchmen that ran out after they saw Henry Sr. healed by the grail. Dismissing the tale as wild fantasy, he makes a note of it in his reports back to Moscow, as he must provide a detailed account of his movements and such, but does nothing further. All these reports that come in are edited, and then compiled into a list of important notices for Stalin and his advisors by the KGB. Since the demise of Nazi Germany, the Russians, in their occupation of Berlin, have obtained many secret Nazi communiques, which are also held by the KGB. This new report supplies some kind of evidence supporting captured Nazi documents on the recovery of the grail. So they capture, interrogate, and eventually kill the German henchman, and of course, during the begging and pleading for his life, he gives the Soviets lots of info, like info on Donovan, Elsa, and the Professors Jones, which of course confirms documents they already had from the Nazis. In the face of all this evidence, they decide to pass the info along to higher channels, but at the bottom of the priority list...still discounting it as a case of "that crazy Hitler and his occult stuff..." Almost as an afterthought, maybe even idle chit-chit with the deliverer of KGB reports, one of Stalin's advisors hears about it and they laugh outwardly, but you notice his ears have perked up a bit. Already fearing for their lives in an unstable political environment, the normally practical Stalin decides to go for it and sends top guys to get it....problem is, they have no idea where the canyon of the crescent moon is...(being in the middle of the desert, the German Henchman admitted he couldn't find it anyway)...so they need Henry Sr.'s map...Stalin authorizes the Jones' to be captured, interrogated, and in true Stalin fashion, eliminated. Of course they find capturing them is hard, interrogating them is harder, and killing them impossible, as Indy and his father go on another adventure....could have a scene in there where the grail hiding place is uncovered again and Indy finds Elsa's glove from LC or something like that. Of course this isn't the story, as that would just be a rehash of LC, it's just the beginning! At the start we have some kind of acknowledgement of Marcus's death, and in the papers he wills to Indy and Henry, we find clues toward an artifact of his own he had been working on uncovering, but unfortunately wasn't able to finish the research on. The Russian heading the effort to get info from Jones, no slouch to antiquety himself, gets this information from Indy's college office, which of course they ransacked after they got him. It sets them on the trail for the real artifact of the film...something like the staff of Moses. Unlocking the power that split the Red Sea would ensure Stalin's reign as dictator, allowing him to vanquish his enemies like Khruschev, which in the short term is better than the grail since the immediate threat are his rivals, not an illness. So they go clue hunting and globe trotting...the Jones' and the Russians, who are always one step behind them and hot on their heels.

Arghhh forget it...it's thin..very thin...and I've ranted enough
Brian K.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: