Re: unanswered question...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12_686.utsi.edu on June 25, 1998 at 10:14:21:

In Reply to: Re: Local digs and opportunities,.. posted by Michaelson on June 25, 1998 at 09:57:09:

: : : Well, I finally get to say I'm going on an archeological dig myself this Saturday right here in Tennessee. No, it isn't Central America, or Korea, or some of those other exotic places we have been reading about from some of our peers on the forum, but it's a state univeristy volunteer dig just the same. I won't be playing the Indy type figure, because to date I couldn't find an arrowhead if I was standing up to my knees in them, but by gar, I'll play a great Sallah and haul dirt! Just wanted to say that there are opportunities right in your own back yard for these kind of opportunities without traveling world wide, if you want to experience what background Indy had to endure. My thanks to my friend IndyJonez of New York City for putting me on to this. Apparently you also get field work credit toward college type credits on several digs that you can get into. We found this opportunity on the web. I'm looking forward to this. Wanted to let you all in on the information, and tell you of these opportunities. Regards. Michaelson

: : Michaelson, just curious, is this volunteer work or paid? My wife and I just finished a 5-month excavation project in southern Utah. It was actually my first paid archaeological experience. What is the exact scope of the dig in Tennessee. Again, just curious. Don't forget your hat and have a good time!

: : --nitzsche

: This is volunteer. My daughter is trying to get as much field time under her belt before going to college. Based upon information she has received, the more work she can show upon arriving at a campus, the better her chances of obtaining the coveted paid positions that are out there for field people. Previous field time looks good on a resume. I'll definately have my hat and satchel with me, and plently of salt tablets. It's supposed to be 99 degrees with a heat index of 108 by then. Talk about baptism by fire!! Regards. Michaelson

Just noticed your other question regarding scope... this is the Bledsoe's Fort Historical Park project outside of Nashville, TN, being funded and operated by Middle Tennessee State University of Murfreesboro, TN. It has apparently been ongoing for about 2-3 years. Go to Yahoo, and type in the Bledsoe's Fort et al title, and you'll find an entire report and explaination regarding this project. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]