Yeah, I was refering to the Crucifix. [nm]

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by the Fiddler from IDFAB102-01.splitrock.net on February 09, 2000 at 11:47:03:

In Reply to: ps: on crosses posted by Inbanana on February 09, 2000 at 03:53:50:

: Crosses and diagrams of four cardinal directions were, one could say, the most common scheme for representing the world in most Native American traditions. The design is found in archaeological contexts, and includes regional variants such as the Navaho swastika, as mentioned below.
: The Inca Empire was termed "Tawantinsuyu" by the Inca, which, translated from Quechua, means more or less "Land of Four Parts Which Becomes One".
: Crosses were the shape of copper ingots cast by metal-smelting peoples in sub-Saharan Africa. These ingots were typically 6-8 inches along an axis, and were traded extensively, especially in southern Africa.
: Crosses became a symbol of Christians in Greece and Egypt in the first centuries AD, partly as a secret code by which to recognize each other during the period of Roman persecutions.
: Referring to a cross as below only applies to a particular type of cross (ie crucifix with Christ) and its relations in a relatively limited cultural context.
: --my dos centavos

: "even before the cross, which became a symbol only sometime after Christ lived. If this is true it had essentialy the same meaning, just that it wasn't a broken cross.
: : You can find the Swastika used extensively in the Navajo culture (whether they use the left or right handed version, I don't know), according to my sources it represented the sun (among other things), and was a symbol of light and life."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]