Re: Corrections to above (read this instead):

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by outside observer from spider-wm063.proxy.aol.com on February 11, 2000 at 12:48:21:

In Reply to: Corrections to above (read this instead): posted by the Fiddler on February 09, 2000 at 12:17:24:

: : *Indy is an archaeologist.
: What does that have to do with anything?

: : *Indy lived for some undetermined time in Utah (LC).
: This means little as by the 20th century, many people not of the LDS faith were living in Utah.

: : *Indy obsessed with occult, conversant with religious, esp. Christian traditions.
: The LDS faith is in no way obsessed (or associated) with the occult, in fact it's leaders teach that it's members should stay away from such things... even to learn about it is risking becoming a part of it.

: : *Indy's poppa has strong religious convictions, hopes son will too (LC).
: Sorry but the actions of both men deny any sort of religeous connection to the LDS faith.

: : *Indy not overly dedicated to monogamy.
: The "Mormons" ended the practice of Polygamy some 20 years before Indy was born. After it was ended, anyone who practiced it was "excommunicated" meaning they were no longer members of the Faith. Today, they are one of the few remaining faiths that condem any form of sex outside the bonds of marriage, as a terrible sin. It is in fact ranked third, right after Murder.

: : *Indy easily drawn to obsessive quests with finding the "truth" of history, elements of faith demonstrated in fact (esp. LC).
: The LDS religion is based as much, if not more, on faith without fact than any other religion.

: : *Indy obsessed with carrying his interpretation of history to others (esp LC).
: I never once saw Indy trying to share his interpretation of faith with others.

: : *Mountain motif common in films, as is penetration into mountains to gain knowledge/insight.
: Good point... sort of. Somehow I just don't think George Lucas is going to allow "his" Indiana Jones be of the LDS faith, unless he himself had secretly joined. Somehow that doesn't make sense.

: : Ok, maybe I'm full of horse pucky, but the above (especially the apotheosis implied in "Last Crusade") makes me wonder: is Indy a Mormon? Of course this was never stated explicitly, but my half-cocked interpretation finds parallels with elements of Latter Day Saints, resulting in a picture of Indy that is almost a sterotype or parody of Mormon character. To wit: strong religious traditions propagated via male descent; extreme interest in archaeology as way to prove Mormon tenet that Native Americans were formerly an "advanced culture" that fell into primitivism when they rejected word of god; interest in religious traditions as means to find common threads originating in Mormon theology; flight from flat Midwest into the heart of the mountains of Utah to find paradise on Earth and refugia from persecution/ignorance.
: I think you're full of horse pucky (your words), "it is possible, however unlikely" that he is a "parody of Mormon character." But I don't think so.

: : This is NOT meant as an affront to any group or person; I was truly struck while watching LC by these thoughts. It almost seemed as though the film's writers were trying to project a subtle religious subtext to the character than went beyond the overt Christian display.
: Are you suggesting that because the LDS faith requires more of its members (i.e. rules and time devoted to the church), that Indy is like them??? Hello!? He's an archeologist, that's not a religious proffesion.

: --the Fiddler

: P.S.
: I don't mean to offend anyone, I just strongly disagree. Perhaps there was some sort of message in all those facts, but Indy being LDS wasn't it.

You forgot a very important thing - LDS people don't even believe in the Holy Grail

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]