Re: GUESS WHO'S IN MY TEXTBOOK...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from user-2ive00a.dialup.mindspring.com on February 12, 2000 at 00:39:04:

In Reply to: GUESS WHO'S IN MY TEXTBOOK... posted by Jonester on February 11, 2000 at 22:50:50:

: Has anyone ever noticed that inside a certain World History textbook (Prentice Hall edition) there is a picture and a few paragraphs written about Indiana Jones? He is compared with an historical event and I thought it was cool and unique that the editors included this. I don't have the exact page number but it appears within the 1st half of the text.
: Also, in my English textbook, there are three or four short stories about the first 3 Star Wars movies. This is also a Prentice Hall publishing, but why the heck would they put Star Wars in an English textbook?

I remember my High School World Literature book with a bit about Star Wars. I think they were comparing it to the epic of Gilgamesh. I think it's mainly a device to make literature/history by/about "old dead people" easier to relate to, and encourage the interest the of the modern student. Let's face it, in our visual culture we relate much more to movies than books, so exciting fiction like Star Wars or Indiana Jones can spark an interest in the reality (or mythology) it borrowed from.

There is a whole academic side to the "epic saga" of Star Wars, if you're into Joseph Campbell and that sort of thing.

Cheers,
Abner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: