Re: Yeah...and while they replace him with bruce willis...The only person who can play indy...IS INDY!...Ford is the only actor for the part

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mlgm from icache-3.doit.wisc.edu on February 12, 2000 at 21:39:35:

In Reply to: Re: Yeah...and while they replace him with bruce willis lets change all the good lines to "Yipie Ki Yay Hans!"...The only person who can play indy...IS INDY!...Harrison Ford is the only actor for the part(nm) posted by bud-arc on February 12, 2000 at 11:36:59:

: I agree. The only way they can "pass the torch on" is to make the new adventures of Indiana Jones with one of Indy's offspring from the YIJC. Because if Harrison can't play him, then Indiana Jones IS dead.

Well, here's where I get in a great deal of trouble I'm sure, but I can't disagree more. I think Ford was marvelous and at the time, there was no actor who could have been better cast as Indy. BUT, and its a big but
I have no problem with the torch being passed, anymore than I mind seeing new actors try the role of Hamlet. I think the obvious new Indy is Flanery, but that's my personal opinion.

I can't help wondering if the reason we have so many thinking about a new Indy because we first saw him in a visual medium,(and Lucas is VERY visual moviemaker whether as producer or director) as opposed to springing from a book. Many people had read say Fleming before the first Bond movie
was made, and had already formed a picture of James Bond. No matter how wonderful Connery was, it could never have matched that vision perfectly, so seeing a new Bond was quite as jarring.

This said, I can't agree with the choice of Willis, who I've always found a very limited actor. He can do the wisecracks, but not give the wounded, inner romantic Ford did so well..

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]