Re: Whip longevity...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Borton from pm085-09.dialip.mich.net on June 27, 1998 at 00:06:42:

In Reply to: Whip longevity... posted by IJFan on June 26, 1998 at 16:35:36:

: Hey folks...

: I've had my David Morgan whip for some time now - but I'm only just starting to actually use it. (It sat in my closet for 4 years while I was at school.)

: I'm wondering: Just how many years of use is one likely to get out of one of these things. David Morgan's not a young man, so I'm thinking I may ultimately order a second one to stockpile against the ultimate failure of this one...if that's a likely occurance.

: Does anyone know if D.M. actually produces all of these whips or if he has helpers? It would be comforting to know there was someone to carry the torch...

: -IJFan

-IJFan, The life of a whip depends on how much its used or how much its abused. Basically with daily use, no abuse and proper care a good Bull whip like David Morgan makes can easily last 20 years or more. Of course over that time the whip may require minor repair like fall replacement.

Last time I talked with the folks at David Morgan, he was still making their production whips. To be honest, I don’t know if he has any one working with him at the moment , Its a family run business so I would hope someone will be their to pick up, when David retires. If not, Whip maker Joe Strain, is already making excellent reproductions of DMs whips. But hopefully Mr. Morgan will be around for many years to come.

By the way, since your whip has been in storage for 4 years, its important that you give it a heavy coating of a good leather dressing, (like Picards), before you use it, This will help lubricate the leather and help replace any of the natural oils that may have dried out over the past 4 years.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: