Re: about Hats and Steam

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-21.COL.cableone.net on February 16, 2000 at 08:18:22:

In Reply to: Re: about Hats and Steam posted by Dakota Ellison on February 16, 2000 at 07:09:29:

: : I was wondering since I have heard some say that they steam there hats to reshape them, how? When I steamed just a little part on my HJ it shrank and sunk in on that part bad, and deformed the hat. I mean it was bad. So bad I sent it back to be reblocked. So how do u prevent the hats from doing that?

: : Matt

: How are you steaming the hat? I used to watch them shape hats at
: the "Cowpuncher's Palace", where they had a professional machine that sent out a thin stream of steam. I use an old copper tea pot and I hold the hat in my hands six inches from the spout, far enough away
: that I don't burn my hands. The felt gets slightly damp, just enough to make that side dent or turn that brim down. Then you bring it out of the steam and the felt dries almost immediately in the shape you just put it in. You shouldn't get the felt hot at all. Use the IndyGear fedora FAQ to get to the Akubra bashing link. Using a spray of water is OK too, you just have to wait for the felt to dry.
: I hope this helps answer your question. It sounds like you got too extreme with the steam. If you have your hands in the steam and they're hot, it's too hot for the hat too. That'll pucker and shrink the felt.

: Cheers

: Ellison

Steam will indeed shrink the felt in a hurry. I use just enough to get the felt workable. Cold water is the safest way to go, although you do have to wait for the felt to dry. If you drench the felt, you can expect for some of the colored powder to wash out, and the felt will look mottled in places. steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]