Re: Do I jump into this or not...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick from spider-wj071.proxy.aol.com on February 16, 2000 at 18:01:59:

In Reply to: Do I jump into this or not... posted by Patterson on February 16, 2000 at 11:12:40:

: : : : Can you name an authority or document about the ark of God that is more knowable or proven then the Bible?

: : I would wish you wouldn't
: : : be quite so insistant that I do too.

: : I sorry if you felt I was being insistant. I made a statment that you responded to by saying the Bible is unreliable. My second post was to ask you where can you find a more reliable document on the ark. The only ones I know are peoples opinions about what is writen in the Bible. No first hand statments or even second hand for that matter.

: : Indy always stayed sceptical.

: Walking the line between subjectivity/faith and objectivity/science is something people have struggled with for a very long time. I'm not arrogant enough to think I can accomplish it where others have failed, but here goes.

: My Catholic upbringing has always taught me that the Bible is "the inspired word of God". It is not the literal word of God. Here Catholicism and many other Christian faiths disagree. The distinction has always been a useful one for me.

: Yes, there are "facts" put forward in the Bible that have likely been compromised for the sake of parable, i.e. communicating a message. That was really the purpose of the writers. There also tend to be wider variations in what we can trust to be factual based on what part we are reading. The Old Testament tends to be more detailed in some parts - read the specifications for building the Ark. The New Testament tends to be more seeped in parable and "code", if you will. A lot of this is based on the times the writers were living in. Revelations is filled with code. It was written in a time where Christians had a lot to be nervous about as far as Roman persecution.

: Anyway, I ramble. In summary, theologians across faiths dispute and debate about whether Moses, or Jonah, or a number of other figures were really individuals as purported within the Bible, or really composites of people strung together to communicate a message.

: I'm sure I'm walking a very thin line here. But the world is not black and white.

: Cheers!

: Patterson

Very interesting discussion folks. It is VERY tough to discuss ANYTHING as a matter of faith (almost as bad as politics..LOL!). As a long-time student of many of the world's faiths, I have come to understand that the reading of scripture, ANY scripture, is an art. The Bible (a text, I admire), is no exception. In my VERY humble opinion, one has to be able to dsicern between fact, mythology and metaphor. And the Old Testament is a totally different offering than the New Testament; the latter being wriitngs ABOUT Jesus, written 35-90 years AFTER He passed on, mostly from oral tradition. There isn't
yet a "Gospel According To Jesus." Until that time comes, if ever, we have 4 oft-times contradictory stories, that don't add up historically as MUCH as they do for the faith-filled. Sorry if this is off-topic, but I LOVE discussions on all things "religious."

Rick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]