Re: Whips...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Borton from pm085-27.dialip.mich.net on June 27, 1998 at 22:25:35:

In Reply to: Whips... posted by Aaron on June 27, 1998 at 20:53:45:

: Anyone had any experience with whips? I mean, are they very difficult to use? Indy makes it look so easy!

: How much should one train with a whip, and how? In the Temple script, Indy tells Shorty and the Maharaja to practice with a piece of rope. I must say, it hasn't been very effective for me.

: Also, can a whip do the things that Indy uses it for, instead of just hearding cattle? :)

: Jeez, I sound like an eight year old asking all these questions. Oh well. Thanks in advance.

: ~Aaron

Hi Aaron, They are not that hard to use, but I would be lying if I said its as easy as it looks.

To answer your question on how much one should train with a whip, and how? Train as much as you can, you learn by practicing. Probably the best way you could learn is to have an experienced whip handle teach you, unfortunately for most that is not an option. The next way is to check out some of the many good whip cracking video tapes (even some of the books) on the market, These can show you the basics and help you sharpen your skills, but its up to you to practice. Then of course, the third is to bang it around until you get the hang of it.

As for practicing with a rope, Its probably better than nothing. Rope has very different characteristics than a braided leather whip. If your interested in learning the art, Your best bet would be to get yourself a bull whip. If you don’t feel comfortable purchasing one of the more high priced whips, You can get a fairly decent American bull whip for between $50 to $100. While you can’t expect as much from them, you can certainly learn from them. Then if you find that whip cracking if for you, you can go on from there.

It is amazing, the things you can do with a whip once you learn the basics, Target cutting, wraps and elaborate whip handling are just a few of the things possible. Including the things Indy uses it for in the movies, although I would not recommend swinging on it. A good start point for you, would probably be the Bullwhip FAQ, at http://www.juggling.org/help/circus-arts/bullwhip.html

Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, let us know.

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]