Re: Unsolicited Scripts!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick from spider-wj033.proxy.aol.com on February 18, 2000 at 18:12:09:

In Reply to: Re: Unsolicited Scripts! posted by Indy Sahara on February 17, 2000 at 06:52:43:

: : The reason that Lucas and Speilberg won't accept unsolicited scripts is purely a safegaurd against any possible future reprisals. Almost everyone of Spielbergs big hits has fallen victim toi some half assed court case where someone has said

: : "This was my idea and I gave Spielberg the script years ago!"

: : Raiders origin was contested by two evangelists when it came out who stated that it was there idea.

: : So, to save any hassle Spielberg and Lucas just don't read or open anything that resemnbles a script. They just return those to the authors.

: All the studios and production companies in L.A. have this policy. You can't get a script read without agency representation. The only other way to get a script read by Hollywood "Insiders" is to enter a legitimate screenplay contest (Nicholl Fellowship, Disney Fellowship, Chesterfield, etc.). These screenplay contests are judged by agencies and production companies. If you win or even place in one of them...you're on your way. I know. This is how I made it in the industry. Through contests.:

My success in screenplay writing has been interesting. My production company partner is an actor and networking has opened the doors to our work. I have NOT sold anything as of yet, BUT I have gotten my work to production companies who SWEAR they NEVER accept "unsolicited" material. Point is, there are MANY ways of getting around the challenge. I've known actors who have gotten an attorney-friend of their's to mail a querie-letter on their business letter-head and that worked. Best way to get your screenplay seen (in my VERY humble opinion) is to raise the money and film it yourself. We're shooting (Lord willing) in July/August. We'll be listed again...in The Hollywood Reporter under "films in pre-production." "Cugini"...is the name of our film.

Keep writin'!
Rick

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: