Re: Backwards Shot in TOD?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Neil S. Bulk from cg356530-a.adubn1.nj.home.com on February 20, 2000 at 18:18:06:

In Reply to: Re: Backwards Shot in TOD? posted by nitzsche on February 19, 2000 at 15:13:28:

Another flipped shot in Temple of Doom is when Indy is hugging Short Round (after the fight at the altar, "Indy, my friend".) Indy's hair is parted the wrong way, and the logo on Short Rounds hat is backwards.

Check it out!

Neil

: : Hey, I was just watching THE TEMPLE OF DOOM the other night, and I think I noticed something. Has anyone ever noticed that in the shot where Indy, Willie and Short Round reach the top of the mountain and the walkway leading to the door of Pankot Palace, it looks backwards. Indy's whip and bag hang over his RIGHT hip, while we all know that they usually hang over his LEFT hip. You can't see his holster in that shot, which makes it harder to prove that the film was printed upside down!

: : What do you all think? Do you think that Ford just decided to wear everything on the other side for this shot, or do you think that Spielberg and editor Michael Kahn made a booboo in the editing? Another scenario be that it was originally filmed the opposite way, but Spielberg decided to reverse it in the editing because he wanted Indy, Willie and Shorty to take a right when they reached the Palace and not a left.

: : Or maybe I'm just crazy...

: : What's your take?

:
: I think you have it right in your last sentence. The Indy gang is seen moving from screen right to left when Indy approaches the statue with the fingers and the guides take the elephants. "We walk from here" is spoken as he faces screen left. For continuity sake, the approach to the palace was flipped to convey preestablished direction of motion. Good eye!

: Regards,
: nitzsche

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: