Fedora Ribbon width...correct???

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by GCR from spider-tn023.proxy.aol.com on February 22, 2000 at 22:25:22:

I have noticed that the stats for the Indy fedora (the ones from the films) include a ribbon width of 1 and 1/2 inches. So, out of curiousity I went to a local fabric retailer and picked up 3 yrds. of dark brown ribbon...1 and a half inches wide. The only hat I've got worth putting a new ribbon on is my Stetson Temple which I had recently reshaped the hell out of anyway, so I figured I'd put a new ribbon on to see how the hat looked, plus I figured I should hone my ribbon sewing skills for when I replace the ribbon on my Indiana Miller (due to arrive tomorrow hopefully). Well, I sewed and stitched and finally, my newly revamped Temple had on the correct size ribbon...or is it? I was surpised to find the ribbon looked incredibly small, and keep in mind this is on a hat with only a 5 inch crown, not one of the taller HJ's or Akubras. Looking at all the films (raiders especially) as well as various photos and other images, I was surprised to find that the ribbon on all of the Indy hats looked much wider comaped to the ribbon on my short stetson. Is everyone sure that the ribbon stats are correct? In every picture I see it looks as though Indy's hat has a slightly wider ribbon...in other words...let me put it this way...the Stetson I own is shorter than the Indy film hats, by at least 1/2 inch. The ribbn I put on it makes it look the same size as the ones in the film, in other words...there looks to be as much space from top of ribbon to the top of the crown on my hat as in the film hats, but it should still look a little short if the hat I have is smaller, shouldn't it? That is why I think the film hats may have had a wider ribbon. Anyone else understand this...I know it's confusing (I confused my self just trying to think of how to explain it!)
-GCR
(The C is for CONFUSED)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: