Re: The Fedora

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean from tnt01-52-212.barrie.bconnex.net on February 24, 2000 at 12:56:29:

In Reply to: The Fedora posted by Anejo Joe on February 24, 2000 at 11:41:18:

: I always wondered about the way Indy dressed, and if anyone would really wear a fedora and leather jacket in the desert, jungle, and the Himalayas. Well, yesterday I saw a picture of the Mallory expedition to Mt. Everest in 1924. The picture was made at a camp on the slopes of Everest with the mountain very close in the background. They were wearing things like tweed jackets, knickers, climbing boots with homemade cleats, and , sure enough, one was wearing a fedora. Keep in mind that they were going to what is probably the most inhospitable place on earth, and one was wearing a fedora. Mallory himself was bareheaded. Indy would have fitted into the picture perfectly.

Interesting story. I've seen lots of pictures of Howard Carter and countless other archaeologists dressed very much like Indy (minus the weapons of course!) from the hey-day of the science in the 30's/40's. I can't say for certain, but I'm sure I heard somewhere that Spielberg and Lucas looked back to those times in coming up with how their hero would look. I suppose the Indy costume is so popular in our midst because not only does it look great, but it's utility is beyond compare.
Cheers,
Sean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: