Re: Hold the phone and pass the popcorn....where's that book?....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hank Awland Jr from refpubacc1.apl.org on June 29, 1998 at 16:56:57:

In Reply to: Re: Hold the phone and pass the popcorn....where's that book?.... posted by Dave on June 24, 1998 at 15:41:38:

:
: : :
: : :
: : : Ok, still, i remember seeing them too when i was younger, and although they have a tinge of lightness and very forced comic sequences, i still became woozy--even as a kid--at the awful performances and hammered effects. i don't recall them marketed as comedies, or even parodies (they're in Action/Adventure at my local video store), but i can see anyone involved not wanting to publicly act serious about these films for fear of looking lame. sharon stone won't even talk about them. besides, king solomon's mines was supposed to be a remake (yeah, way to go). don't ask me what happened. it's like half-way through they realized they couldn't pull it off and had to ham it up. i'm not opposed to indy-genre films or even parodies, but dude, parodies are cheesey, not moldy!

: : : i did like chuck norris' firewalker though, and that was campy!

: : : --nitzsche

: : Totally agree about Firewalker. That was a story trying to be serious, and it really didn't work for me. As to the other two, everything was forced if you look at the results. But they were summer movies, the infamous "chewing gum for the mind" type of affairs, and should be treated as such. They were never intended to be taken seriously, according to the creators of the series. Regards. Michaelson

: :::In defense(i can't believe it myself!!) of the two A.Q. movies, both did follow (very loosely I might add) major plot points in H Rider Haggard's novels. The second novel, like the second film, did actually have a 'chase' through an underground river of sorts. Yeah they were blatant rip-offs, but everybody was doing it. Tales of the Gold Monkey. Bring 'em back alive. Remember them? they were my favorite shows at the time. Both cashed in on the exotica-age brought on by Raiders. And isn't imitation the most sincere form of flattery?
: By the way, I just got the hardcover editions of H.Rider Haggard's novels She, King Solomon's Mines, and Allan Quatermain. All are excellent reading and much better than the movies. My favorite books, to be sure.
: Once again, you've got your finger on the pulse, Michaelson!
: Dave

In my modest opinion, even though the postings are turning to different threads here, if ever anyone sees the names "Golan and Globus" on a film, even if big name actors like Chamberlain, Stone (although when KSM was made, she hadn't been naked enough to propel her stardom), and Rhys-Davis show up, you can be sure it's a cheaply made flick. If golan and globus were making cars, they would use a Yugo factory, Russian technicians, workers on holiday from sweatshops owned by Kathy Lee Gifford, and put Cadillac, Camaro, Porsche, Rolls Royce, whatever cars float your fancy, on the outside, and make you think you'd seen a good movie. I suggest before seeing ANY Golan/Globus movie (especially if one has dined on stout fare like Raiders for a long time, which is so excellent on so many levels), one must become nearly as innebriated as the Jones character in the Cairo bar after Marion's "demise." Humble opinion, submitted.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]