Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lucas manage to squeeze in Raiders between Empire and Jedi???

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by California Mike from 209-21-33-181.dialup.microweb.net on February 26, 2000 at 19:05:47:

In Reply to: Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lucas manage to squeeze in Raiders between Empire and Jedi??? posted by Indiana Joe on February 26, 2000 at 17:39:40:

: : I for one don't mind George Lucas having a little less involvement in this new Indy, especially considering how much he mucked up the new Star Wars.

: That’s debatable. It’s true that many people hate it, but it’s also true that many more love it, and there isn’t a general consensus on its merits or lack thereof, the way there is with, say, Star Trek V - The Final Frontier, which is almost universally regarded as a nadir for the series. But I digress...

The fact that there are so many wide ranging opinions, even among star wars fans, lets everyone know that the phantom menace is at the very least inconsistently out of character with the previous films. Otherwise everyone would love it! There are some really good parts, and some absolutely terrible scenes.

: : How a cute little digital sidekick who can pooped on and say stupid things while fighting people in comic ways? Rick McCallum, Steven Spielberg, and Harrison Ford should have more input than Lucas.

: Well, whatever, but Indy _is_ Lucas’s character. Spielberg, McCallum, Ford, Hall, Flanery, Phoenix, Carrier, Kasdan, Kaufman, and others have all made significant contributions to Indy, but he’s ultimately still Lucas’s creation, and Lucas guides his destiny. You might as well say Honda should take over the Mustang because you don’t like the direction that Ford has chosen to take it in.

Lucas was integral to the character development, true, but I and most believe that whoever came up with the initial concept the director, actor, and screenwriter have a far greater input than that initial concept man. With that in mind, I believe that Ford, Spielberg, and whoever the scriptwriter for IndyIV is will have a far greater impact than Lucas, whose work is done, and I hope stays done. If he writes the script, I will be scared.

: : As for Lucas's time being taken up with directing, all he's doing is filming actors on blue screens and then tinkering with digital effects. I don't think he's travelling much, so he should have enough time.
: : Unless, of course, he's finally getting the DVD COPIES OF HIS MOVIES TOGETHER!! ARGH.

: Now you’re just totally wrong. Tremendous portions of the new Star Wars films have been / are being shot in studios with bluescreens and so forth, but not all - there was a huge amount of location shooting in Episode I, and there’s to be a great deal more in the next two. Furthermore, even studio work is very time-consuming, and so is the extensive pre-production process, and so is post-production.

That was a cheap shot, I admit. It's a lot of work, and they have to invent lots of technology. I was wrong. I guess I'm just upset because I feel that lucas is devoting way too much time to production work, and not enough to casting, dialogue writing, and directing. Every ounce of energy spent on jar jar was time not spent on getting natalie portman or jake lloyd into their characters.

: Moreover, Lucas has a lot of priorities he didn’t back in the days of the original Star Wars and Indy films - the Lucasfilm Empire is much greater than it was then (many huge areas of it, such as LucasArts and the THX group, didn’t even exist when Raiders was made), and these all siphon away some of his attention. On top of that, he’s now a single father of three, which is arguably more demanding (and certainly more important) than making any movie. In the old days, he lived for film; now, film is something he does, but not the most important thing in his life.

Exactly my point, he's busy and has a lot to do, and I and a lot of people wish he'd just focus on the star wars product. Ergo the initial premise of my posting, I hope lucas doesn't get involved, he's too busy.

: And incidentally, American Graffiti and Radioland Murders are both available on DVD.

Yeah, and for spielberg we've got 1941, Amistad, and Always instead of Jaws, Close encounters, Jurassic park,and indiana jones. Not a good tradeoff. Either address why they're not being released, or release them.

C.M.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]