Cool Indy-esque movies off the top off my head.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by GCR from spider-tf034.proxy.aol.com on February 28, 2000 at 12:00:35:

In Reply to: Allan Quartermain posted by Chantry on February 28, 2000 at 11:39:08:

: So I finally saw King Solomon's Mines and Allan Quartermain & the Lost City of Gold last weekend. They were on the 2am movie so I taped them for my day off. After watching them I figure they'd be better at two o'clock in the morning. I lost count of how many references and direct Indy rip-offs there were. And BAD acting! I'm glad Sharon Stone stopped playing the helpless female to become the seductively cold bitch she plays so well.

: Are there any other Indy-like movies worth watching out there? Old or newer?

Here is a breif list of some movies that really capture the feel of grand adventure (although IMHO, none capture it so well as did Indy)
- The Wind and the Lion (1975) starring Sean Connery and Candice Bergan, takes place in 1904 Morrocco.
- The Man who would be King (1975?) starring Sean Connery, Micheal Caine, and Christopher Plummer. Takes place in late 1800's India.
- Gunga Din (1939) Starring Cary Grant. This also takes place in late 1800's colonial India. Big inspiration for ToD, Thugees and all.
- Romancing the Stone (1982?) starring Micheal Douglas and Kathleen Turner. Definatley inspired by Indy, although not a blatant rip-off like King Solomon.
- King Solomon's Mines (1950?) the original, I forget the names of the actors involved.
- The Mummy (1998) Brendan Frasier, Arnold Vosloo. Indy type character "helps" to raise a long dead mummy with an attitude and a fear of cats.
- The English Patient (1997?) Starring Ralph Fiennes and Katherine Scott Thomas. Don't laugh, this is a very good film. Although not as action packed as the other suggestions, it does have beautiful Sahara landscapes, a good story, a good score, Nazis as the baddies etc. Takes place in 1938 North Africa, and later in 1944 Italy.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]