Re: Details of the Wested

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian K. from kbowen.xyplex.com on February 29, 2000 at 20:26:32:

In Reply to: Details of the Wested posted by Matt Walker on February 29, 2000 at 19:28:12:

: Ok I have heard alot of things about making the Wested correct. But what are you guys talking about? What are leather facings? Did Indy's jacket have zippers on his pockets? And what about the zipper facing the other way? What does that mean. could somebody please explain all of this?

: Matt

Hi Matt,
What is meant by leather facings typically is 2 areas. First, the collar stand, i.e. the area on the inside of the collar where the "hanging loop" is (sorry, I don't know the real name for it). Secondly, it may refer to the area next to the front zipper on the inside of the jacket. In a standard Wested you'd order today, both these areas would be made of lining material. Now, as I understand it, the original Raiders' jackets used in the movies have a leather collar stand but not leather inside the zipper. The collar stand is a fairly noticable feature on closeups of the actor, but the connection of the zipper to the lining isn't. Making this area out of leather is for added strength and durability. Since these jackets were made originally as movie props and not for general use, it really didn't matter. This is NOT to say that if you don't order the leather facings it's going to wear out in 6 days, just that over the years, the lining will show a bit less wear if you have them. As far as I know, the pockets of Indy's jacket did not have zippers in the movies. This is a suggestion given by Patterson to help the pocket keep its shape over time. Again, this jacket was originally designed as a short term use movie prop. If I understand your question about the zipper facing the other way, I believe you are referring to the side of the zipper that contains the piece that interlocks its two sides. This is merely the difference of having a European made garment. By American convention this portion of the zipper is on the wearer's right side. Wested follows European convention, placing it on the left. ( Hey, they drive on the left, they may as well zip their coats from the left too :) ). This is all the way I understand it, but if I have given any false information, I'm sure Michaelson or Patterson can correct me.

Regards,
Brian K.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: