Re: Fly fishing can be learned.....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale Dassel from iax-minden-ppp0010.iamerica.net on June 30, 1998 at 14:15:40:

In Reply to: Re: Fly fishing can be learned..... posted by Michaelson on June 30, 1998 at 11:01:02:

: :
: : : Brother, if you can successfully fly fish, it doesn't matter WHAT you use as a whip! You're going to hit what YOU swing at! I tried fly fishing once in my life. I don't think my uncle EVER got all that line out of his apple trees by his pond. I can throw a whip well, but I still won't attempt fly fishing again. I understand rod and reel to well now. Regards. Michaelson

: : Well, it's really not that tough. Especially if you've figured out how to throw a whip since you tried it last. I bet that with a little effort and a big grassy field, we'd have you casting nice, tight loops in one afternoon. You wouldn't be great, mind you. But you could go fishing - which is what it's all about really.

: :
: : -IJFan

: You're absolutely right. It's just like learning not to flinch when the tip of the whip first is coming back at you. I just can't seem to keep the thought of that hook from the back of my head. But you're right, we CAN be taught until we die, right? Thanks. Regards. Michaelson

I don't know about fly fishing, but I was amused when, this summer
while in North Carolina, my grandpa commented on what a nice, perfect
casting technique I have. (when we went fishing) I couldn't help but
smile and say that it was because of my bullwhip skills. I know this
sounds crazy, but bowling also helps one's whip skills, and it can also
be said that one's whip skills also helps with bowling. Both sports
teach hand and arm control, and fine-tunes precision moves. (I happen
to be the only person in the world who throws a straight ball nowadays)
I can fairly consistently put the ball right down the center of the
lane. The bullwhip is the reverse, that being throwing a straight arm
over the head and forward. But both hobbies play well of one-another
and mesh together nicely.

-Dale

P.S.-He's right- having the best tools DOES make all the difference!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]