Well..

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian K. from kbowen.xyplex.com on March 02, 2000 at 00:09:59:

In Reply to: Hey could any body in here tell me what all the specifics are for the jacket and what the exact Raiders jacket was made from. posted by muska on March 01, 2000 at 22:51:01:

: Hey could you guys tell me what a probable length of jacket would be for a guy who is about 5'10" and ways about 150 lbs. or any thing at all you could tell me about the specifics would be nice.Well Thank You.
: MuSka

I'm 6'0" 140lbs and I supplied personal measurements to Wested. That's the best thing to do, really to ensure you get a good fit. Make sure you give yourself an inch or 2 play in the chest size. I measured the circumference of my chest + 2", base of my neck around shoulder to wrist for my sleeve...( it could stand to be a 1/2" or so longer but on the whole is decent...depends on the fit your going for ) my height, neck size, and my shoulder to shoulder width across the back. I'm happy with my fit. Again, it's all subjective because it depends on the fit you're looking for. I ended up with what the inside tag lists as a 40 long, but I can't stress enough that you have to give Peter measurements if you are very concerned about a good fit, especially if you are not one who fits well into standard sizes. If you are unsure about how you measured yourself, make sure Peter knows exactly how you came to each measurement.

Now, as for the topic of "specifics" on the jacket, I'd suggest you read the history of the jacket on IndyGear (http://www.indygear.com). It's a recent addition to the site and lists a lot of info about how the world of IndyGear got from the big screen to your door, the jacket as well as other items.

Quick Info List on the jacket:
Original Raiders of the Ark Jacket was made from non-distressed lambskin ( the "new" finish ). The tannery, however, that supplied the leather has since gone out of business. The leather Wested currently uses is lighter in weight, but still has a very close look to the original. Distressing of the jacket for hte movies was performed by the Lucasfilm prop department. Among the distressing methods they used - repeated wall beatings with the coat and sandpapered seams.

It had a leather collar stand, with lining running to the front zipper and an inner pocket which did not contain a zipper. ( these are things you may want to add if you plan to get heavy use out of the jacket...after all, in the movie, it is just a prop, not Harrison's everyday coat! )

If you are going for movie authenticity, the original Raiders jacket was made in a satin lining, with the Temple of Doom and Last Crusade jackets making a big screen debut in cotton lining.

There is of course, lots more information on the jacket to be had if you just peruse IndyGear for a while. It's hard to write down everything, as the topic is rather vague. If I missed any particular points about the jacket that you want answers to, please elaborate. I'm sure someone on this forum can help you ( most likely Patterson or Michaelson...they KNOW this jacket! )

Regards,
Brian K.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: