about the fedora

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by GCR from spider-tf024.proxy.aol.com on March 02, 2000 at 01:02:38:

In Reply to: Disneyworld's fedora...and Indy novels... posted by Scot from S.C. on March 02, 2000 at 00:17:11:

: Just a quick question for all of you who have been to the attraction/show at Disneyworld. In the shop after the show, they sell a fedora. Now, I plan on going back this summer to Disney and was wondering if that fedora is even worth my time to buy. On my last visit, I really didn't pay it that much heed...I figured that I could come back later and check it out in detail (of course, I didn't get the chance). Now, my first question is does anyone know how it compares to all of the other fedoras out there? I feel sure that it probably ranks at the bottom, but hey, if I knew for sure I wouldn't be seeking advice. My second question concerns the last Indy novel I read, The Secret of the Sphinx by Max McCoy. Is this his last Indy novel? Has anyone heard of a new one coming out soon? Thanks again!

The very first Indy style Fedora I ever bought was the one featured at the Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost at WDW. I was younger, and didn't really know squat about hats, especially Fedoras. I knew Indy wore one, and I figured since it was the "official" Indy fedora, it must be the closest thing to the hat in the films. Boy, was I naive(Sp?)!! Once I started to do some research online at places like IndyGear and X-Marks the spot etc. I quickly discovered that the hat I had purchased was FAR from even being worthy of Indy Hat status. For one, the entire material of construction is wrong. The Disney hat, manufactured by Dorfman Pacific, is made out of Wool Felt. The hat(s) Indy wore were made out of Fur Felt. The difference? Wool felt is cheaper (better for a mass produced collectable) and does indeed look cheaper than a nice fur felt hat. It's similar to the difference between a wool overcoat and a fur coat, one is indeed much nicer than the other. Another problem is the shaping of the hat. The crown of the hat is a teardrop style fedora, not a center dent fedora as all of Indy's were. It can be re-shaped, butthen you run the risk of ruining the hat by having the felt shrink (more of a problem with the wool felt hats). Third, the hat dimensions are wrong. The brim is too short, and does not have the dimensional cut, the crown is too short, and tapers, the ribbon is too thin, and the bow is too square. The interior of the hat is un-lined, and last, the hat only comes in general sizes (S-M-L-XL etc.) not specific sizes, so there is a risk of it not fitting right. If what you are looking for is just a plain old hat that someone might look at and say "gee, that kinda looks like an Indiana Jones hat" then this is is OK. But if you want a real hat, one that serves a purpose, is high quality, will last longer, is more correct in detail to the original hats, go for something like a Stetson, or the new Indiana Miller (the latter has my personal recommendation, this is a very very nice hat, and the closest thing to the real thing this side off the atlantic!) They cost about $50 to $70 dollars more, but the difference is price is the difference in quality. If you want cool Indy collectable, get it. Otherwise, save thirty-six dollars and put it towards a better hat. If you do get it, once you get your hands on a Stetson, Miller, Akubra, or even the coveted HJ, you'll look back and wonder what the hell you were thinking when you got it. It's a good beginner's fedora, but it's alos a waste of money. There, that's it, my fingers are tired. Good luck, and have fun!
-GCR

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]