Oh my goodness....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Jules from spider-wg073.proxy.aol.com on March 03, 2000 at 22:02:30:

In Reply to: Re: Darkness and loneliness on an adventure... posted by bud-arc on March 03, 2000 at 21:17:00:

: : Fate of Atlantis. It's just that in FOA there was a bit of a more worldly feel to it. In IF it is very dark and dreary most of the time. I think that that mostly draws from the fact that in FOA Indy associated more with other people, whereas in IF you are all alone in all of those tombs and desert after desert.--I must compliment the team at LucasArts though, because when I play it, I really feel lonely and depressed with the darkness and loneliness that Dr. Jones must go through when he's alone on an adventure.

:
: I LOVE the loner feeling you get when you play these 3D action/adventure games! It's not at all depressing to me, it's an experience not to be reckoned with. It's like an alternate reality that you can escape to anytime you want. I'd love to have my own real-life adventures like that. The only bad thing with the game is when you kill your character...it's like you're actually killing yourself! The first few times it happens, you cringe, but then you start getting pissed off because you can't pass this certain section of the level, and you get all annoyed and rip the CD out of the CD-ROM drive while it's still spinning, throw it like a frisbee, immediately regret it, and then pick up the pieces hoping that it's still usable. But then again, that's only me...:)

DAMN! WE THINK ALIKE! I'm on my 3rd copy of Infernal Machine and still goin' strong!! (J/k)
The Loner feeling is actually cool, but it's just my opinion that it was neater in LC w/ Dad, Marcus, and Sallah. The Loner feeling is fun after a while, but that emptiness soon sinks in and it gets me depressed when you have to go over the same area again and again and again....I mean you can spend about as much time on one level as Indy did during Raiders of the Lost Ark...(speaking of which, I love to put the "In the Idol's Temple" on WinAmp and play that part of Return to Peru with the music in the background and relive the adventure, second after second! It is f@#$ing FUN!!!)
The second little thing that bothers me is that while going through the level you don't have any background music, save when you dive into a pool of water and that KICK ASS fanfare plays, or when you figure out that something is "Whippable" (how did he get his Ph.D.??)and the Raider's March plays. It's understandable that what you do in that 3D enviornment is completely unpredictable, but I am a music-man, and I need something in the background to help my thoughts process the adventure well.

I go to a Catholic-Church (about 150 years old) that has a cavernous basement. Back in the 8th Grade, a friend of mine and me would go down there, and we'd explore and "Adventure" the 'caves'. It was great fun, but I'm tellin' ya- it was like in Raiders when he steals the idol....with no music....it just isn't disco...

All things said, IF is a great game, but I feel I'm more of a FoA person.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]