Any real life relic/treasure hunters out there?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scot in S.C. from user34.ais-gwd.com on March 04, 2000 at 16:48:56:

I know this may seem like a far fetched question, but are there any other relic/treasure hunters out there? My friend and I go out on
a regular basis with our metal detectors and dig around here and there. Actually, if we are running short on time, we may just go to a local park and collect newer coins, rings, etc. we happen to detect. However, we have gone a few woodsy type hunts, where we mapped out an area using old maps (100 years old, etc.) and foraged into the woods trying to locate old houses, battlefields (I live in S.C. and we have a couple of Revolutionary and Civil War sites nearby, etc. Once we even mapped out the site of an old train wreck (back in the Civil War era). The train was blown up by the Union. Luckily, it was carrying uniforms, etc. We have found buttons, belt buckles, etc. So I do live a bit of an Indy-like existence, even though they are just local woods and swamps; they are still fun. Of course, we have never been chased by anything more than wild dogs (we do have encounters with snakes...a lot...lol). We actually do a lot of research on certain regions and try to piece together where things were and when. We do a lot of reading and talking to old timers too. Oh well, I have now bored anyone who has gotten this far. Anyway, if there are other people out there like me, drop me a line here. (By the way, I am a big history buff too...in fact, my B.A. is in English and history). And, belive it or not, I teach at a local high school by day. Now if I could only have some adventures come my way like Indy (grins).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]