Re: I have spent several months with the guide gear jacket. An update

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dakota Ellison from spider-wm011.proxy.aol.com on March 04, 2000 at 20:40:58:

In Reply to: I have spent several months with the guide gear jacket. An update posted by Reggie on March 03, 2000 at 22:48:48:

: The jacket's doing great. It has actualy darkened a bit from since when I first got it. The sued is still shiney (suprisingly and to my delight). The only problem it has is that the stitching has been comming out of the straps. But I tied the thread in knots so it has stoped. I guess it was caused by tightenig and losening them and the straps rubbing against the MEATLE D-rings. (MEATLE because someone said they were plastic) I have worn it in rain and it soaks up water like a sponge. But the oily leather never got stiff or rough from the water. I was suprised it didnt fade but actualy got darker. If you get this jacket, it will serve you well. Dont expect a Wested or Cooper, because you will disapoint yourself. I didnt expect a wested. It met my expectations plus more. If your happy with a Disney or a US Authentic version, why not a Guide Gear? I feel that this jacket has been given a bad reputation. Yes there is a seam down the middle of the back but it is hard to see and feel. It is more like a little stitching. The guide gear jacket came equiped with a YKK zipper, Satin lining, very deep leather bound left inside pocket and the Guide Gear logo cloth tag was stitched down on a leather back.

After reading your report back before Christmas, I ordered one too. I still don't know what Diesel leather is, but this is not a
bad jacket. I took the insulation out of mine (I'm in Atlanta} and sewed some snaps on the collar. Also treated it with Lexol and it
really looks good as well as being very light-weight. Not bad for
under $130. The last time I saw it in the Sportsman's Guide catalog,
it was $79 clearance.
Cheers,
Ellison

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional: