That's not true...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett (Maverick) Lambert from port5.westworld.ca on March 04, 2000 at 22:58:47:

In Reply to: Re: I'm not so sure about this summer... posted by Indiana Shorty on March 04, 2000 at 21:05:07:

: : : Warning: This is not official, and I have no confirmation of any of my musings. This is all speculation on my part, and as Indy said, "I'm making this up as I go."

: : : One: Our best guide to the way Lucas' mind works regarding long-awaited sequels is that OTHER Lucasfilm property, Space Trek or something like that. 8-) With that OTHER trilogy, we saw the following: 1)Release to video 2)The "Expanded Universe" phase, including computer games, novels, books, comicbooks, and a resurgence of collectibles (action figures, T-Shirts, and the like.) The THX video re-relese (with title change for continutity's sake) also falls in here. 3)Special Edition and hype up. 4)Episode 1

: : : Let's look at the Indy parallels: 1)Release to video (the brown boxed set) 2) "Expanded universe" (Young Indy, novels, Dark Horse comics, Fate of Atlantis, Infernal Machine, etc.) As far as collectibles, the Star Wars Insider now carries a (pitifully small) selection of Indy stuff after a long stint without anything at all. The THX video re-release (including widescreen) is released to coincide with the Infernal Machine game. Why? Because there will be no "Indy Special Edition." Despite the great work done by the guys over at the Raiders of the Lost Scenes site, there is neither enough unused material, effects worth re-doing by CG, nor interest to produce a Special Edition. That still leaves the "Hype up" period from number 3. Take a look: Infernal Machine, THX Videos/ Young Indy, and Indy stuff on the Insider within a very focused time frame, as well as teasing hints on shows like Access Hollywood and the like, along with the comments from the bigwigs over at Lucasfilm. I think this is the beginning, at least, of the hype up. What comes next? 3) Indy IV

: : : Two: There is no way that Indy IV will occur without the attentions of the Big 4: Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford, John Williams, and, (lastly) George Lucas. Spielberg is now available after dropping Harry Potter and postponing Memoirs of a Geisha and Minority Report. Harrison Ford is now available, after dropping Traffic, and before picking up on "Sum of All Fears." Williams can do scores virually in his sleep, and will be available after The Patriot. Like Ford said, we need to "light a fire under his [Lucas'] ass. My gut tells me Lucas is simply to busy with his "baby" to care about Indy IV, and likes a crappy script, just because of his indifference to the whole Indy franchise. Indy IV need not be great for Lucas is it does for Ford and Spielberg; he's content with a half-assed mediocrity. However, I will play devil's advocate and say that this might all be another Blue Harvest. Lucas' sloth and the script controversy might all be a cover for the soon-to-be-commenced filming of Indy IV.

: : : Verdict: If Indy IV is to happen, it will happen SOON, probably this summer. This seems to be the best window of opportunity until 2005, by which time Ford will be 63. I sincerely doubt Ford will want to play the Indy we all know and love in 5 years, and I doubt we would want to see "The Adventures of Geriatric Jones." IF THE BIG 4 OR ANY OF THEIR ASSOCIATES ARE READING THIS, NOW IS THE TIME FOR INDY IV. To all Indyfans, take heart: Indy IV is coming soon, or not at all. The former is our wildest hope, but the latter is just as good: the Last Crusade ends the Indy story with one hell of a bang. Here's hoping...

: : : --Grail Knight
: : : "Fortune and Glory, kid. Fortune and Glory."

: : You made some good points there Grail Knight, but if Indy IV is going to be filmed this summer, they would have to be working overtime on pre-production! This is a major step of the filming process! They need to do location scouting, CASTING, storyboards (yes Spielberg, time to bring out that magic pencil once again!), and lot's of other planning steps. And let's not forget that a certain PREQUEL is being filmed this summer? That might not be so good for Indy 4!

: :
: : ---------------------------------

: James Episode 2 begins filming NEXT YEAR not this year Thats why episode 2 is being released in 2002..so yeah there is a chance indy4 might begin filming fall of this year

Indiana Shorty, it's been said at starwars.com and many other sources that Episode II is scheduled for filming this summer and I highly doubt Lucas would put aside Star Wars to make an Indy 4. Episode I was being filmed in summer 1997 believe it or not. After that it was extensive editing and special effects compositing (integrating Jar Jar, Watto, E.T. and many others with the human characters took forever). Lucas was not done with editing and compositing effects until 2 weeks before the movie came out. Filming was all summer long and a few reshoots took place in early 1998. This will more than likely follow the same route for Episode II. I sincerely doubt filmmaking for Indy 4 will happen anytime soon. Star Wars will always be first priority with Lucas. I suspect, at the very earliest, Indy IV could be made between Episode II and III. But I wouldn't hold your breath for that.

----------------

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]