Re: LET me put it this way

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Freak0ut from spider-tp042.proxy.aol.com on July 01, 1998 at 18:33:18:

In Reply to: Re: LET me put it this way posted by IJONES on June 29, 1998 at 21:01:06:

i think that Cap'n Paul went too crazy on IJONES. IJONES, sorry I don't know if you are male or female, only said that the general consensus was that Temple is regarded by the greater percentage of ~real~ Indy fans to be the most unlike Indy. Something I have found to be the truth as well. The character is portrayed a lot differently in Temple than in Raiders or Last Crusade. In Last Crusade, when he is only 13 years old, he is intent on having the Cross put into a museum, and he views it this way throughout his teenage years on the television program. In Young Indiana Jones and the Treasure of the Peacock's Eye, he officially decides that "treasure hunting" is not his business. If he had the anti-treasure hunting viewpoint at age 13, reestablished it again at age 18, and obviosuly mantained it until age 39, it seems psychotic to think that he would be chasing "fortune and glory" at age 34/35. Plus, when Chattar Lal meets Indy, he says "Dr. Jones? The ~eminent~ archaeologist?" The word eminent implies that Indy already ~had~ a certain amount of glory, so thre is that slight contradiction. Throughout the trilogy, the tv series and the books, it has been CLEAR that Indy is an archaeologist for his love of the field and is not in it for the money or treasure hunting ("Archaeologists do not follow maps to buried tresure and X never, ever, marks the spot"). In Temple of Doom, the mention of fortune and glory is constant and THAT is why it is regarded by ~many~ people to be unlike Indy as we know and love him. Not to say that if you disagree, you arent a "true indy fan" or anything like that. God, do I know way too much about this character? :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]