Graml goes on a rant! Somebody stop me!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graml from sdn-ar-001vannewP254.dialsprint.net on March 08, 2000 at 18:17:14:

In Reply to: Anyone we know? posted by Anejo Joe on March 08, 2000 at 17:39:13:

: This is a draft abstract from an American Anthropological Association presentation in San Francisco in November. Does it sound like anyone we know?

: ABSTRACT

: Public perception often views archaeology through the Hollywood lens where, against glittering backdrops the archaeologist informs the villain that the artifact in question "belongs in a museum." The hero promptly rips the artifact out of context, takes it from its patrimonial country and hands over the artifact to the "home" institution. Although reality is less glamorous, archaeology's mission is much broader than the retrieval of a single, celebrated artifact. Archaeology's aim is to provide information, knowledge and insight into the human past.

Hey. I'll bet Indy's ears were burning when someone came up with this. It sounds like a lot of the whiney anthropologists I've met over the years. I've had my fill of these Poindexters complaining about Indy; no one ever said he was a GOOD archaeologist.
-graml

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]