Re: Now it's my turn...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graml from sdn-ar-001vannewP216.dialsprint.net on March 08, 2000 at 21:08:30:

In Reply to: Now it's my turn... posted by bud-arc on March 08, 2000 at 20:33:36:

: Still, my argument is that what Indy was doing wasn't anything bad or wrong at the time. The science of archaeology was still in it's "primitive" states, and it did consist of taking what you can and running with it. Then, over the years, archaeology started becoming more intellectual and precise; it's a good thing Indiana Jones would've been retired by that time. Not that I'm complaining, but I wish I were living in the "glory" days of archaeology...

Hey. The "glory days"? You mean back in those idealic days when Nazis tried to shoot scientists, and cult members tried to pull your heart out? :) Seriously, though, back in archaeology's early days, it was the hobby of rich SOBs who robbed graves and smuggled their treasures out of the country. Now antrhropologists and archaeologists decry the looting of artifacts' home countries, but don't ask the British Museum or the Smithsonian to return their biggest draws... Hell, if these people didn't loot graves and rob "primitive" societies, I'd be out of a job... Ooh, I'm really caught in the middle here.
-graml

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]