Re: QUESTIONS THAT BOGGLE MY MIND! NEED ANSWERES, QUICK!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hannibal King from gatekeeper.astra.com on March 11, 2000 at 07:20:32:

In Reply to: QUESTIONS THAT BOGGLE MY MIND! NEED ANSWERES, QUICK! posted by RollaJedi on March 11, 2000 at 03:25:32:

Hi, welcome to the forum - I'll answer as many questions as I possibly can . . .

: ROTLA
: 1)How does Indy know Jock? I see his jacket says "air pirates" and I remember seeing a book with air pirates in the name.

: 2)Does anybody but me see a big rod sticking out of the giant boulder on the left as it chases indy?

: 3)Who are all the Arab men that pull guns on indy after threatening Belloq in the cantina? They are all smiling and acting friendly and they let indy leave unharmed after the encounter....

I've always assumed that these Arabs were just local thugs hired by the Nazis to get Jones. The reason that they are laughing is because it's Sallah's children who save Indy's life and I always kind of thought that they were laughing at Indy.

: 4)Did they ever really fly airplanes like that weird batman looking thing toward the end?

Yep, but I don't think the plane was about in 1936 - again I'm not sure.

: 5)!!!!!Where does indy go after climbing on top of the submarine! It submerges, so where does he go!?

In the novel and comic book adaptation there's a lengthy sequence of Indy lashing himself to the subs periscope with his whip.

: 6)What exactly is Toht supposed to be, anyway? And do they actually ever say his name?

A member of the SS, and I don't think his name is ever mentioned1

: 7)How do the people in the town know to hide the truck with indy and the ark in it after the truck chase scene?

Sallah's forewarned them. Indy says "Meet you at Omars" when he rushes off to steal the horse.

: 8)Is that a real island at the end?

: 9)Where exactly is Dr. Jones' university located? When it shows the map when he departs on the plane, he leaves from San Francisco. In TLC, he leaves from new york.

: 10)If that little stone building was sticking up and sitting there with loose stones (when indy and marion escape the well of souls), don't you think the nazis would have broken in there? And if they did, that would have led right to the ark!

Ancient ruins have so many alcoves and buildings that to investigate everyone of them would have taken months. Also it would have lead to a mummy chamber not the ark because Indy smashes the wall open with a huge statue of Anubis.

: 11)How does indy go to all these far away places and still teach a class!? Lots of substitute teachers or something?

: 12)What happens to Marion after the movie?

: TOD
: 1)What happens to short round and willy after the movie? Why dont we see them or hear about them anymore?

: 2)It seems weird to me that if Yohan was an old friend and shared many of indys adventures, that indy doesnt really mourn his friends death much and short round never even mentions him.

Wu Han's death is quickly followed by a poisoning, bar room brawl, car chase, aeroplane crash and so on and so forth - Indy probably never started grieving until well after all these. Just because Indy knew Wu Han for ages doesn't necessarily mean that Shorty did - so perhaps it didn't mean a lot to him.

: 3)When indy is fighting the big thugee guard on the conveyor belt, Willie yells up to them saying "whats the matter with him!?". Who is she talking to? The giant guard looks at her. He probably is thinking "I'm beating the holy crap out of him, thats whats the matter!"

Yeah, but she had just seen Indy clutch his back foir no appartent reason and start writhing about the floor.

: 4)Why does mola ram not tear out willie's heart?

Never worked that one out myself.

: 5)What is Dan Akroyd doing in this movie!? He should have been kind of a big name then (ghostbusters), so why was he cast in a little bit part?

Ah, Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi were originally going to be Jabba's musicians in RotJ - almost like Alien Blues Brothers but Belushi died. Aykroyd did ToD as a favour.

: 6)Where does indy get his sword from at the end? I never see him take it from a guard!

I've not seen it for ages but I think he's meant to have picked it uip. However the sword he whips away from the guards hand end up miles away so I dunno where he got it from.

: 7)They did the relaxed-pull-the-gun-out-and-shoot-the-swordsman scene in this movie, but TOD happens before raiders! In raiders, it looks like it was spur of the moment thinking and all.

A matter of much debate - yep, an in joke that doesn't work chronologically but does for the audience.

: 8)Not really a question, but an observation: on side shots of the bridge, it doesnt seem like a long drop down. When they are fighting on the vertical torn in half bridge, it does, plus it seems straight down, in opposition to seeing it as more of an arced off cliff on side shots.

: 9)What are they eating in the Indian village?

: 10)How does the water they send down the caves get all the way to indy really far away? I mean, wouldn't most of it have gone into the pits of lava along the caves?

: 11)if the children are all set free, how come they all dont run back to the village then? Why do we see them come back only when indy returns?

Perhaps they didn't know where they were!

: TLC
: 1)I have seen that temple in the side of the cliff that the grail resides in on pictures. Can someone tell me where it is and what it is really called?

The Rose city of Petra in Jordan

: 2)It seems that sallah doesnt have much of a part in this movie and brody is, well, a retard basically. Anyone agree? THey both had really good parts in the first movie. Serious and all.

Yep =- always a bugbeqar of mine. Especially with Brody

: 3)I never have really understood all the kids waiting outside of Jones' office toward the beginning. Explain?

He's so busyt globe trotting that he's not kept up with his gradings and tutorials I expect.

: 4)!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will Indy live forever now that he has drank from the grail? If so, then why do we see him as an old man in the young indy adventures?

No. The Grail has to be drunk from everyday and never leave the cave. That is the price of immortality and why the knight was really old because he hadn't drank everyday.

: 5)They could have taken a fake grail and been all right. It still would have been a great find!

I suppose so, but at that moment they hadn't lost the grail and Indy wanted to get to his dad. Then the whole temple collapsed

: 6)WHAT THE HELL WAS THE KNIGHT DOING IN THAT CAVE FOR THAT LONG!!!!???

Guarding the Grail until his replacement came. That's why he thgought Indy had bested him and was dressed strangely for a knight.

: 7)When the temple is falling apart, you see the knight wave. Indy says to his father: "Please, Dad." What does he mean anyway? Does the knight get killed? I'd be pissed if they all come there and wrecked my home, stole my grail, then left!

I always assumed that with the Grail lost he was glad of the release. His wave told Henry that things were fine. He'd been there alone for an awful long time indeed.

: 8)Indy shows us he has no bullets during the attack of the fighter planes. Yet, he shoots at the head german officer inside the tank while on horseback only a short time later.

Yeah, but he'd ben in a town to meet Sallah. Stocking up on provisions there. Also he may have had bullets in his bag but no tiume to reload with the plane swoopiong down on him

: 9)How could you stand to swim underwater with your eyes open inside petroleum!?

Petroleum would be on the top I think!

: 10)Observation: Hitler was a lefty, yet he signed with his right.

Yep, another continuity error

: Please email me cuz I dont get on here much. Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]